Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best "WATERPROOF" detector for nuggetshooting?

tomtowns

Between the waterproof detectors out there...Sand Shark, Tiger Shark, Infinium, Excalibur, CZ 21, etc. what have you found to work best? I need one that will work down to at least 30'.... I'm toying with the idea of building a waterproof housing for a Gold Bug...thoughts?

I put an original Gold Bug(20 years ago) into a 1280X housing. It is still working as far as I know.
It can be done, but wasn't easy.

Matching the coil to the unit lies the troubles. New logic circuits have reduced interchangeability of different coils on machines. Made more and more to be model specific. Cheap marketing,then ya gotta buy more coils as all I know use multiple machines like me,3 units on any given day at times. Tesoro Shart or Ray vlf or pulse choice and infiniumn are my choices-me I'd get both tesoro--vlf better for small gold and fresh water and pulse as superior in salt but not a good as a vlf in fresh water or tiny nuggets.Pulse likes iron too.. John

IMO none of the ones you mentioned are much good for small nuggets' the best of the bunch for nuggets is the Infinium. I would put a GB2 in a water proof box.

Thanks for the replies guys...I guess I'll just go ahead & shop around for a second hand bug & see if I can build a waterpoof case around it over the winter. I just finished putting together my hookah rig & have a couple places I'm gonna go this weekend.

Hobo lobo said:
Wal mart sells a water proof box in sporting goods that might work.

I was thinking more along the lines of milling one out of a block of plastic...theres a "Tap Plastics" dealer here in town.

That would work if you have the means to do it. Might be easier to get some Lexan (polycarbonate) and some polycarbonate glue and fabricate a box. I made one that way once and it worked ok.

I am contemplating building a water proof gold detector also. I just finished the mod on my Compadre,(practice) look in modifications forum for my post. I have a GM2 that I am thinking of modding. The problem lies in ground balancing under water. The Compadre was easy because all the controls could be put inside the box. Water proof pots are expensive. This being the case I would want as few controls as possible outside the box. What I would like to do is combine a Tesoro lobo ST, and a Tiger shark or stingray or sand shark. The Lobo ST should fit in the water proof box and the 4th pot location could be used for internal volume control. You would just have to drill 2 holes for switches. They might even have usable pots. I think Tesoro would do well to do this themselves. It is a bit of a niche market but there does seem to be call for it. The lobo ST is getting dated but is still a good detector and the auto GB would make use underwater much easier. I would use a clear box for any mod because you can see if it is leaking while under. It would be a bummer to find out you had a leak after the box was full of water. Just my 2 cents.

I once built a waterproof case for a GB2 but it was a dismal failure. The problem was that I had no method of ground balancing once the detector was sealed up inside the case. I made mine out of 6in PVC tubing with a screw on cap and with the headphone lead and coil lead coming out the back end and sealed with silastic and self adhering 3M tape. The problem with the GB2 was that it required almost constant ground balance adjustment and this was not possible with the case I made up.
I solved the ground balance problem in the end by buying a second-hand Minelab FT 1600 which has automatic ground tracking and combining this with a waterproof coil off a Musketeer beach detector. This worked quite well but my setup was never designed for deep diving as the case was very buoyant and wanted to float on the surface but up to about the 5 foot mark it worked OK.

cheers

Steve

I am interested in doing some mask and snorkel nugget sniping with a metal detector myself. I am leaning Garrett Infinium due to the ability to handle extreme mineralization combined with interchangeable coils.

I would love to try converting a vlf to a water machine. I dont have the funds at this time to get a good one to convert. I was looking at a gmz, or a lobo st. The gmz should be easy to convert, it has minimal controls. I really think that manual GB would be a pain in the water. If someone has a Lobo st that needs work or is really beat up I would be interested in modding it. The hard part is waterproof potentiometers are about $50 each for 3/4 turn and alot more for 10 turn. I converted my Compadre recently. I had it out yesterday and it worked down to about 5'. I couldent get any deeper in the river I was in.

I was wondering what you prospectors thought about the Garrett AT Gold. I know its not rated for 30 ft. but it would be good enough for shallow hunting, if it is good on small gold. Anyone seriously try it for prospecting yet ? Save you a lot of time trying to waterproof a gold machine, since the AT Gold is waterproof.

i use a at gold
its a good prospecting machine & works great underwater ..
good sensivity to gold & very ez to use
ground balance is a snap even underwater :thumbup:
i love mine :detecting:
[video]http://youtu.be/3GX6TH67nLo[/video]

The AT Gold is a good unit and if I wanted to mask and snorkel with a VLF instead of a PI it would probably be my choice.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?27,1750412,1769238#msg-1769238

SWMO Mark said:
I was wondering what you prospectors thought about the Garrett AT Gold. I know its not rated for 30 ft. but it would be good enough for shallow hunting, if it is good on small gold. Anyone seriously try it for prospecting yet ? Save you a lot of time trying to waterproof a gold machine, since the AT Gold is waterproof.

I compromised my desires vs. reality & bought an AT Gold shortly after making the OP... The only fly in the ointment though was the following week, I blew first gear out in my old 66 jeep & there are no hard parts to be found to rebuild it. :rage: I've been scouring craigslist, ebay & other forums looking for parts or the best solution other than modifying my drivetrain to accept a newer tranny & the best I've come up with is a guy up in Washington can rebuild mine with the "guts" of a different model...$700 plus shipping & I have to ship him my case to get it done...:sadwalk: Needless to say, I haven't had any gold in my pan this summer.

you can fix your jeep :thumbup:
sent you a link for parts hope it helps

wltdwiz said:
you can fix your jeep :thumbup:
sent you a link for parts hope it helps

Thanks Walt, I've got most of it unbolted & will probably drop it later this morning after I block up the engine. I think the hardest part is removing all the little floor pan bolts.