Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best waterproof freshwater beach coil?

bik-il

Hi all,

I've absorbed what info I could but am still wondering which frequency coil would be best suited for freshwater beach coin and jewelry hunting. id prefer a waterproof coil to complement the 5 x10 hf that's coming with the 705 gold pack that I ordered.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I got back into md-ing last year after many years away. To give you some idea how long-

My last machine was a Compass judge 6. . .

I still have it.

Thanks for having me on the forum!

Kindest regards,

Bik

bik

On a freshwater beach I do well with the stock 9" 7.5 kHz concentric
which is waterproof.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1415332

If it must be waterproof you also might try the 6" DD 18.75 kHz
but that might be a little redundant because you already have the 5x10 HF.
The water resistant 5x10 is very good for the beach, just don't directly stick it in the water.
Some people do try and waterproof the 10x5 themselves with a plumbers goop,
I've never done it so I don't know how will it works.

If the only coil you have is the 5x10 HF, the next coil I would get is a 7.5kHz MF something.
MF is very versatile.

The big guys, 10.5 round DD's are not waterproof.

Good Hunting

Denny

kirk01 said:
bik

On a freshwater beach I do well with the stock 9" 7.5 kHz concentric
which is waterproof.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1415332

If it must be waterproof you also might try the 6" DD 18.75 kHz
but that might be a little redundant because you already have the 5x10 HF.
The water resistant 5x10 is very good for the beach, just don't directly stick it in the water.
Some people do try and waterproof the 10x5 themselves with a plumbers goop,
I've never done it so I don't know how will it works.

If the only coil you have is the 5x10 HF, the next coil I would get is a 7.5kHz MF something.
MF is very versatile.

The big guys, 10.5 round DD's are not waterproof.

Good Hunting

Denny

all coils for the xterra are water proof EXCEPT the 10x5 dd.....

anton

From Minelab site

Coil Selection Guide
Description
Compatible detectors
Water protection
Application

Check here: http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11792/KBA_02-1_Coil_Selection_Guide.pdf

ramairnut

Thanks for posting the link.
That is where I got the above info.
Minelab lists these three coils as "water resistant".
Not waterproof. But what do they know! Ha! Ha!

You are one the money Denny. TomB

I dont have the money to throw away risking it. I have those coils, and I have used them, but havent tried sticking them in the water. I have on the ones that minelab says are waterproof. That way if the water messes them up, then I can send them back. These coils cost too much for me to risk em. Going to head to the beach tomorrow but figured to take my AT Pro and try it out some more. I just hope I am not spending my time tomorrow wishing I had brought my xterra. Been there..done that.:thumbdown:

Thisoldgoldchaser said:
I dont have the money to throw away risking it. I have those coils, and I have used them, but havent tried sticking them in the water. I have on the ones that minelab says are waterproof. That way if the water messes them up, then I can send them back. These coils cost too much for me to risk em. Going to head to the beach tomorrow but figured to take my AT Pro and try it out some more. I just hope I am not spending my time tomorrow wishing I had brought my xterra. Been there..done that.:thumbdown:

How did you make out with the AT Pro on the beach?

Why are some Minelab coils waterproof and others water resistant? Is it a budget thing or a technical thing? I suspect a budget thing and if so a real design floor, making operator mistakes/damage more likely.

digmeahole said:
Thisoldgoldchaser said:

How did you make out with the AT Pro on the beach?

Once I got it back from Garrett with the falsing fixed, it did great. I was very pleasantly surprised at how sensitive the AT is. Even had to lower the sensitivity to keep from going too deep since all I had was my beach scoop for digging. If I remember right I ended up running the sensitivity at about 2 and was still finding stuff down to 8 inches or so. Didnt find anything fantastic, mostly clads and bottlecaps and foil. Oh, and soda cans... But, all in all, it did very well.

Chris Mac said:
Why are some Minelab coils waterproof and others water resistant? Is it a budget thing or a technical thing? I suspect a budget thing and if so a real design floor, making operator mistakes/damage more likely.

I think I have to agree with you. Its likely a budget thing to keep production cost down. And yea...if you have all the coils, you are bound to forget which one is waterproof and which one isnt and stick the wrong one down in the water. Bound to happen if you hunt around water and use the detector very much. Why they did it that way, dont know, but it was not one of their best decisions in my honest opinion.

I'm one of the guys who recommended using Plumber's Goop (per my instructions) on your Minelab water resistant coils and I can personally verify that it works, but can understand why most people wouldn't want to risk a $170 coil to find out for themselves. But to me its better to have properly applied Plumber's Goop to a water resistant coil, than to have forgot which coil was which and immersed the wrong one. In answer to your question, the 10.5" DD MF coil (when properly waterproofed) works really well on fresh water beaches. Same for the stock coil.