Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best way to bury coins for testing?

I just remembered something I saw the Midwest Fisher rep do 15-20 years ago. He would take a hollow galvanized pipe section, hammer it into the ground until the target depth was attained, drop the coin in the hole, tap it down with a dowel to make sure it was flat, then use the dowel to push the plug out of the pipe.

I would think this is a very neat and easy way to bury the coin.

I would add to spray the inside of the pipe with WD40.

Another possible way is to do what I used to do to bury a copper grounding pipe for my Ham radio rig. Hold a hose on the top of the pipe and let the water do the digging. After the first few inches the water will make it very easy to bury the pipe. Just like using the pipe as an extension of the hose.

Would it work, if you hammer a pole in the ground to a desired depth and pull it out gently from the hole, that it created, then glue a coin in the end of a wooden stick, that is the length of desired coin depth and then put the stick with the glued coin in to the created hole.

I just dig a neat hole putting the dirt on a rag. I make sure to pack the dirt in steps as I back fill it then put the plug back in the right way. You can hardly see it when you are finished. I cannot find the finished hole. By the way that is a 14" deep quarter.

southernexplorer said:
I just dig a neat hole putting the dirt on a rag. I make sure to pack the dirt in steps as I back fill it then put the plug back in the right way. You can hardly see it when you are finished. I cannot find the finished hole. By the way that is a 14" deep quarter.

Disturbing the ground by digging a hole will affect the depth test and will not give as accurate results, than if you where to use the pole technique, that will not disturb the soil matrix nearly as much..

IMHO no matter how you get the coin in the ground it takes a long time for the coin to start forming a halo. Iron being the fastest to start the process and gold being the slowest and possibly not ever forming a halo. I have a few coins that has been at my dads house for almost 20 years and I do not think the signal has gotten any better since I first started hunting with the Explorer over 10 years ago. If you can detect a freshly buried coin at 9" deep you can be almost certain to get it if it has been there 50+ years. The biggest problem with hunting now is that most coins are hidden by either iron or pulltabs above or in close proximity to coins. If you are experimenting with a test garden bury a dime at about 4 or 5 inches and put a pulltab directly over it and see what happens. You can even set the tab right on top of the dime and try that. A quarter has a lot stronger signal so it takes a little more to skew the ID. My test garden shows you must approach the dime at just the right angle to get even a hint of a high tone on all the machines I have tested that have tone ID. Everyone I hunt with experiments in my test garden. One more thing is the minerals in the ground. If you have any measurable amount of minerals the target can ID wrong if they are deep.