Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best wheaty day in some time now

BillF

Went back to the '05,'27'07 houses today. Does not appear to have been searched since I was there last week. Took the Digger on the 705. Found a pocket full of clad, 5 early wheats, '19,2-20's &2-28's and a '52 Rosie.
I just can not believe I'm not finding more silver or any indians. Unbelievable.
You guys may be right, it was md'd years ago.

Looks like you had a good hunt to me. Any time wheats and silver is found it is a great hunt in my book.

If you did 3 old yards and only found 5 wheat's and a rosie I would say it's a good chance they have been MDed in the past.

Good for you finding what you did on picked over ground Bill. :clapping:

Around here in the '80s swarms of detectors used to go from town to town knocking on every door and hammering our parks & schools. They even drove up and down the dirt roads looking for older homes to detect, and too often did it w/o permission. So finding a good place to hunt here is tough too. I practice and test equipment in parks or at older schools, but my best stuff comes from fields where homes once were.

I think there might still be a few goodies hiding in one of these yards, maybe under a bush. Who knows. Once they knock the houses down the detectors will be all over them like white on rice.
These had to have been searched before, no IH's, no barbers, no V's. I know there is always the chance that not much was lost but 100+ years of habitation will always produce something besides 9 wheats and a Rosie.

We hit an old yard every month or so, sometimes as much as 6 times in a month for about a year. We pulled up a lot of wheats and a couple of silvers here and there. We kept going back and all of the sudden within a few days time I found two V nickels, an indian and a Barber dime. This was in an area that three of us were sure we had covered on multiple occasions. We knew the property had potential but it took over a year before I had found the really good stuff. It's crazy what a change in ground conditions and just going over a target the right way will bring. I'd give it more time.

Mapper, I'll keep going back as often as I can. It won't be too long before someone else gets in there.
You're right, some days, for whatever reason you just start finding things in places that you are positive you went over many times before.

Previous diggers is likely, but I wonder if landscaping, construction, etc. may not have pushed the goodies just below reach. I can't explain it but there does seem to be magic days where things just click and what seem to be easily reachable targets just show up in dirt you or others have hunted many times without success. I just don't think we are wise to write off 'hunted out' spots completely. Thanks for the venting its cheaper than therapy and I am married to a therapist!

It may have been picked over but you still found some good finds! I have some go to places when there is no new places to hunt and every now and then I'll find something good. Ground conditions or just missed areas can produce something! Nice work on your finds!

mapper65 said:
We hit an old yard every month or so, sometimes as much as 6 times in a month for about a year. We pulled up a lot of wheats and a couple of silvers here and there. We kept going back and all of the sudden within a few days time I found two V nickels, an indian and a Barber dime. This was in an area that three of us were sure we had covered on multiple occasions. We knew the property had potential but it took over a year before I had found the really good stuff. It's crazy what a change in ground conditions and just going over a target the right way will bring. I'd give it more time.

I totally agree. I have a 10 by 10 turn around in my yard that I have literally been over dozens of times or more. Its a spot I check the detector out in every time I put in new batteries change a coil or make an adjustment. Earlier this year I was waiting for a guy to go detecting with and I was goofing around in this area and I got a dime signal at about 5". I dug it and it was a 42 merc. Perfect signal no question. I know I have been over this dime before but never found it. I also hunted an 1800s house that the owner said there had been many guys hunt before. We found a 1877 seated dime several rosies, wheatbacks and an 1866 two cent piece. In my opinion and area is rarely picked out.