Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bh 505 and beach hunting

skuzzb

i would like to try beach hunting with my bh 505,is it worth a try and if so has anybody got any tips.
thanks

Hey. I think it is worth a try. Ive never hunted a beach; i hear it can be tricky for some detectors. Good luck and HH. Matt

I gave my BH Sharp Shooter II to my brother to hit the beach with and he said it went crazy and he couldn't use it. It can be tough to ground balance at the beach. I wish I had more info for you to help. HH. Matt

:usmc:

I'm assuming your wanting to hunt a salt water beach and I've never done that. Here on the Salmon River, we have a few fresh water sand beaches and my 505 works just fine. For retrieval of a detected target, I would suggest a large plastic spoon like or a nice screen type sifter scoop. You will be dealing with dry sand on top of wet and both will work differently. The dry will sift better while the wet will sort of speak, allow you to shave away small amounts at a time without so much of it caving back in and filling your hole.

On the DRY sand at the beach(salt water) it will work ok. On the wet sand you will get way to much falsing to make it worth your while. With the 505 you CAN tune it to not false but your depth potential at that point will ony be a couple of inches.

capt.

I recently went to California and did some beach hunting with my Lone Star, it worked fine found some coins and a few small trinkets. I only hunted in dry sand tho.

There's no salt water beaches here in South Dakota, but here goes anyway! :)

The salt signal is everywhere in wet sand, but it is weak compared to metal. Raise the coil and reduce sensitivity. If you have a smaller coil, use it. The theory is the salt effect will fade with coil height and a smaller coil has less sand beneath it, so a good target will stand a better chance of being heard.

Once you get it set for a particular amount of "wetness" in the sand, detect along the beach to stay within that moisture range. Rather than hunting from dry to wet and back where moisture level changes constantly, try to stay about the same distance from the water.

Yes you lose depth, but you may be able to at least hunt nearer the water.

-Ed