Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bh pioneer 505

skuzzb

can anybody supply me with some tips on settings for this,i have been using auto notch but would like to try other settings,i am also abit confused about the notch setting and how i would use it and tune it,
thanks

1230 position = gold & coins but blocks iron. anything past 1230 is coin shooting only. those are the 2 i use. I too was confused about the auto notch and do not use it.

1230 on disc/notch knob?is that what you are talking about??how do you get 1230,is that just past 12 on the dial?
thanks

Yes. That is twelve thirty half way between 12 and what you would consider 1:00 if you are looking at a clock. After a while of learning the tones your detector makes for each kind of metal target you will prefer to search in all metal mode on your machine so you do not miss any of the good stuff. Found my first 14k gold ring with my pioneer 505 within the first year of having my 505. Just be patient and learn your detectors language. Set your sensitivity at about the 2 or 3 o' clock position. Less falsing on targets that way. You might want to pick up a 4" coil if you are just learning to pinpoint with it or search trashy sites. Good luck and hh.

thanks for that,just one more question,what mode do you run it in,all metal,disc,notch or auto notch?im starting to learn its language,dam pull tabs sound the same as gold,well the New Zealands ones do.
thanks

Your welcome. I hunt in disc mode and auto notch mode. In disc mode if you want to find the good stuff and not miss targets left behind by others learn to hunt in the area labeled all metal mode on your discrimination knob. Push the disc mode button and put your knob all the way to the left. You will dig alot more trash but find gold eventually. Your detector will pick up gold at the 1230 position but you will miss stuff. Auto notch is good for coin shooting but may block out gold items because it notches out pull tabs and iron but will pick up coins still. If I do not have a lot of time to hunt or I am hunting in a very trashy area I swill use auto notch and full sensitivity. Then you are guaranteed to bring something home. To use auto notch just push the auto notch button and start swinging your detector. Unfortunately pull tabs are a menace to all who metal detect. Good luck and hh.

once again thanks for the info,will try those settings and modes.
dave

Like DIrtdigger said you may want to use a 4" coil for trashy areas and gold hunting. It really helps for target separation too.
I have an extra, brand new one still sealed in the bag if you want to make me an offer for it. HH

I really like the 4" coil for trashy areas, around playground equipment it allows you to get really close, and in trashy areas it helps find the good stuff around or among the trash. It takes longer to cover a larger area, but if you do not feel the need to cover the whole park and swing in slow, even overlapping sweeps you do not need a big coil. Trying to cover a 15-20ft by 15-20 ft area and taking your time you can find some really good stuff you might have missed if you try to hurry and walk the whole park in one afternoon. The four inch coil does not go really deep, sometimes it is nice if you do not want to dig deep. I think that regardless of the type of machine you own it is good to have a small coil. If you get a small coil try setting your 505 on auto notch and putting the sensitivity at full. You will find yourself digging deeper targets even with a smaller coil. It was a lot of fun. Good Luck and HH.

I made a 'hand held' version of my 505 using the 4" coil. It rocks! It gets into places full size detectors cant like crawl spaces in attics and under houses. Have fun and HH. Matt