Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big let down days after a great find!

wpruden

Christmas eve last week I found a 1943 walking liberty half dollar in super shape along with 8 wheat backs one being a 1910. Any way I go a few days later at the same site and find absolutely nothing! Than went to two other old sites found nothing again, Trying not to get frustrated at this time.
During these last few days I think I was hearing to many tones from my sov. and the 550 meter was getting the deeper signals to reach 550 but lost the ID# the tone moved to a different location. probe the area nothing! I had a feeling this was going to happen. Maybe I need to put the sov. down and go research. who wants to research when outside air temps are in the high 40s!
I was using the 8" original BBS coil and sov. xs, sensitivity at 10 O'Clock with a threshold.
After getting that walking liberty I thought next time out to that area I would conquer that area and find at least some mercury dimes or something. I was in an old swim resort that shutdown in 1971 and was a huge attraction back in the 50s. the area is over grown in small trees , ivory, fallen trees etc. root city. any comments are welcome!
I'm very satisfied with the finds that I did get.

I know about the sov. slow pace to get not only the deep ones but getting a good solid tone on others as well.
Yes I will be going back! I was moving my coil at an average rate of 12 inches in 5 seconds or slower.

Wil

The 1000 Tornado coil could help with your hunt or a Coinsearch 8 inch.Try to lock on those iffy targets with the wiggle.The silver dimes and quarters(very little halo effect) will be harder to find than the pennies or a fifty cent peace.Finding early date wheat's means there is Indian Heads there also search at zinc or below example on the 180 meter zinc around 176 IHs 173 to 176.Older nickles will give a lower reading than newer nickles I would keep going back chances are a lot of silver coins are there waiting to be found.

Thanks Ron
I only own the the original 8" (7.25") bbs coil, I will be going back and continue going for the iffy signals only with more patience.

Hey Adam from CAL, I received a lot of good information from you as well thanks to all you guys.

I used the Tornado 800 coil and really liked the small coil great target separation and good depth.Even with the BBS 800 coil the Sovereign still has excellent depth compared with other metal detectors.I would go back over the exact spot you found the silver half and work a circle grid out from ground zero.

If you are little new to the Sovereigns it will take a little while to know what to listen for and I like to wiggle the coil over many of the signals depending on the first tone I hear. If you were following me you would see beside a side to side sweep with the coil I will be giving little wiggles once in while as this was a slight tone change that was the tones i want to hear. One or 2 little wiggles will let me know if I want to check it out a little more. It took many of us some time to really get the hang of the Sovereigns as it was tough for the first few times and you seem to learn more each time out with it until you can tell just by swing the coil when to stop and check the target out more. I am sure there is more where you have been and the more you use it the more you will understand about the Sovereign.
I have a yard on the corner of the block I been over many times with different detectors and I am sure others have too. I know I have tried 5 different detectors there and been back at least 15 times just on that corner along the sidewalk and between the sidewalk and curb. Thought I had it worked out, but last year with the Sovereign GT I got another barber dime and a buffalo nickle. I have picked over 135 coins out of this area and just keep going back and going slow and doing the wiggle over anything that is questionable and do dig more trash now just to be sure.

Good luck and have the patience it take to become great with the Sovereign.

Rick

Went back to where I found the walking liberty and came up empty, but did find a fare token from Philadelphia. about 40 yards away found a 1941 wheat at 11" with the smaller bbs coil.