Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big silver at new cellar hole

Scenario84

Found a new cellar hole today from the early 1800s. First target out was this nice silver spoon. I'm a rookie when it comes to reading silver hallmarks and stuff so any help would be appreciated. All I know is it has a makers stamp of GF or maybe GE. Three castles, a duty mark of King George III, a date mark of a lower case m and a wreath or something else stamped on it. I know this all is supposed to tell me the who what where and when, but I'm finding conflicting info. But a cool find for sure

It would be easier to determine with a close-up, but the assay mark appears to be Edinburgh, and the date mark 1818.

Nice find, I bet there's some nice old coins there!

HH,
Brian

Thanks! Edinburgh is what I was finding too, but the maker GF didn't show as a person from Edinburgh so that's where my confusion came from. But thanks for the date! That was a point of confusion for me as well.

Here's a better view. It's before it was cleaned off, but closer view of the marks

[size=large]George Fenwick[/size] is the silversmith who made your spoon. He was in business in Edinburgh late 1790's- early 1800's:thumbup:

Wow thanks goldstrike! That's awesome. I appreciate the help!

Awesome find,Congrats!

Thats what I found as well. George Fenwick of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Assay Office, date stamp 1818. Glad to see I got what the others did. Here's the site I used: http://www.silvercollection.it/hallmarks.html

Thanks! That site is a great resource