Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big Silver Ring

shafer44

well, I got out today and went to a lot that still has a house on it that has been repossessed by the bank. The back yard was a mess before with 3 ft tall weeds and crud in it, so I had not hunted the back yard before. When I drove by though and saw that it had been mowed and the tall stalky stuff at least knocked down, I decided to try it. I hunted for about an hour and found 1 quarter, 7 dimes, 18 memorials and 17 zinc crusties. I was disappointed not to have found any wheats or silver, but thought, oh, well, at least I found something. Then right before I was going to leave, I got that sweet tone and +79-+81 VDI on my V3i with my 4x6 shooter coil and definely was going to dig this one out. I dug out a chunk with my shovel, ran the coil over the dirt to make sure I got it and then bent down with the TRX pinpointer to locate it. Well, the pinpointer was vibrating all over the place and it was definitely not having to search much thru the dirt to find it. I picked up the ugliest ring that I think I have ever found. The picture of it shows a penny for size comparison. The "ball" on the top of this ring is 0.55 diameter. Who in the world would even think about wearing a ring like this?? Anyway, it is ugly, but it is definitely unique for the rings I have found and 0.925 silver.

That is a very unusual and strange looking ring. I wonder if it may have had a dual purpose of some sort.

Congrats on all the finds.....43 coins in an hour! That's a lot of digging! Maybe more goodies can be coaxed out of the ground with a bigger coil.

Thanks Wasp!! Well, it probably was more like 1-1/2 hour, the more I think about it. But, yeah, there were a lot of coins, just under the surface. Most I would just slide my sharpshooter under the surface, turn it over and retrieve the coins. The ring and the quarter were a little deeper. You would have to see these lots we hunt to believe the conditions. There are stalky weeds of some sort that grow about 3-4 ft tall, and about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter. This house was repossessed by the bank and they probably hired someone to just clear the back yard. It is "mowed" and the weed stalks were just whacked off above the ground, so when you swing a coil, it is like a pinball machine.....really tough to get close to the ground. Plus there is so much junk, like wine screw tops, pull-tabs, beer bottle caps that it is really challenging. I did run over the yard in spots back before they cleared it with my 6x10 Eclipse and found a few coins, but it was hard to hunt with the larger coil too. There may be a silver coin or two on the lot, but the oldest coin I have found mostly in the front yard is a 1952 wheat. But, that is in the right era for silver. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Good job Shafer44! That's the way to finish a hunt - with a nice chunk of silver. And good job on all those coins too. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Blind Squirrel

Thanks, DocBars!! It is different and mostly....it is silver.