Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bigger coil for Sov. GT?

biglry

Hi all, Big Larry here with a ? for the Sov GT owners out there. I have had my Sov GT for about 6 months and love it. My last detector was an OLD Garrett that they refused to fix anymore (1980s era).

I hunt only the beach here on the central coast of Calif. There is a 36,000 acre state park called Oceano Dunes SVRA (State Vehicular Recreation Area) formerly Pismo Dunes http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1207 and I live right next to it (walking distance from the house). I hunt every day (retired) and have been having great success in the dry sand.

I was wondering about a bigger coil for the GT and what some of you might have tried and any suggestions as to makes and sizes.
The area is very trashy with aluminum slaw and slugs in the dry sand as over a million people visit and camp on the beach each year and and have been for many years along with Indians and Spanish explorers who traveled through here, there is a lot of stuff to be found here, good and bad.
What I'd like to be able to do is hunt in the wet sand and cover a little more area per sweep as I have constantly found higher quality items and a lot less trash in the wet sand. Here is a link to a post of mine asking about some reproduction stuff I found on the beach http://www.findmall.com/read.php?40,848597

Thanks for any help and if any of ya are ever in the area look me up.
Larry

this sounds crazy ..but if you want more cover buy a cheap detector ..well a bit cheaper than a gt ....and use both

seriously i have tried using a bounty hunter and my gt at the same time ...the bounty hunter is about half the wieght of the gt and is easy to handle if anything is heavy its the gt ..as long as the two are swept togwther at equal distance you cover a larger area than a big coil ... but cant wear hedaphones unless you can wire them both up somehow .

and you have a spare detector for a friend if required

iv had 4 Sovereings and have used the WOT 15" and the Sun Ray S12" and like the S12 much better.its way lighter and easyer to pin point.my GT and S12 has found many dimes @ 15" deep on my beach.it has good coverage and will cover a lot of sand quick.i use the S8" in the water as it pin points better being a smaller coil adds to the ease of scooping items you cant see.iv had 5 Sun Ray coils and have not had a problem with any of them.good luck.

Bling said:
the S12 much better....its way lighter....it has good coverage and will cover a lot of sand quick.... have not had a problem with any of them.good luck.
All key words I'm looking for, I will investigate the S12

Larger coil will not work as well in a trashy area subject to more masking of good targets usually tougher to pinpoint and heavier... but indeed covers more area...
Have to consider the plus and minus factors....

I also use the s-12 on the beaches here in N. C. Its a great coil and deep..I did run a very
thin bead of clear silicone around the cover to keep out sand and water..
Sov elite > s-12 coil > straight shaft homemade & (extended) > Jolly Roger phones>> ,,
there is nothing on the beach better**that I know of...........

Thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is find an s-12 coil as everywhere I have checked say they are out of stock. I have sent e-mail to this site sponsors and the best I can hope for is sometime in Jan of 09. I'll keep looking and using the 10" double D for now

peg leg red said:
I have seen some OLD solid white coils floating around,, that is not what you want**
open coil only,,,,,,,,plr
Yes I have seen them too. I know I want the open and LIGHTER s-12 with a new lower GT arm to make the switch over easer and faster.

I have never used an S12 but I have used all the Excellerators accept the 15 and larger. They are very good coils if you using them for beach hunting/ in the wet or dry sand . Ive been using a 14 in for a couple of months on my GT and hunting the wet and dry. . Excellent depth and easy to swing . The weight is equal to or less than my 10 in tornado. Its a double D and you can pinpoint off the forward end of the coil at the hot line center. They are on sale at KCompany. At their current price thery are a bargain. This coil covers a lot of ground and goes deeeeeeeeeeeep. HH Don

I use the S-12 on my GT at the beach in NC and absolutely love it. Deep and covers alot of ground. I, too, would recommend the S-12 wholeheartedly. Good luck, Bryan in Goldsboro, NC

DonNWF said:
I have never used an S12 but I have used all the Excellerators accept the 15 and larger. They are very good coils if you using them for beach hunting/ in the wet or dry sand . Ive been using a 14 in for a couple of months on my GT and hunting the wet and dry. . Excellent depth and easy to swing . The weight is equal to or less than my 10 in tornado. Its a double D and you can pinpoint off the forward end of the coil at the hot line center. They are on sale at KCompany. At their current price thery are a bargain. This coil covers a lot of ground and goes deeeeeeeeeeeep. HH Don

I have used the S12 and its a good coil but I just got the 10X12 SEF for my Explorer and love the way it seperates, it has such a tight detection band. If I got a large coil for the Sov I would go with one of these SEF Excellerator coils.

HH
Neil