Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bit-O-Silver

TomB

Beautiful fall day in Virginia. After a long absence I decided it was time to "Swing" again. In some of my past post I have mentioned an old home site that I have been hunting. A large quantity of .69 cal musket balls, flint, buttons and other relics have been found. To day I decided to give it another try. I was swinging my X-Terra 705 with the 10.5 DD 7.5kHz Coil. I went through the normal setup steps but did not ground balance. I elected to cut on the tracking feature. About fifteen minutes into the hunt I detected a very faint TID. As I swung from right to left I could hear the faint sound. When I swung from left to right I could not hear anything. I removed a 9" plug of dirt and found that the target was still in the hole. I was about to start digging again when I noticed the side of a small object. I tested the object with my pistol probe and got a positive reading. I measured the object at 7 1/4". I removed a little dirt with my knife and revealed a silver three cent piece standing on its side. The smallest US coin ever minted. After a little cleaning in peroxide I was able to make out 185 but the last number can not be seen. Proof that the X-Terra 705 can sniff out the smallest of coins. TomB

PS I should add that this is only the second three cent piece I have ever recovered. The other one was a 1863 coin recovered at Malvern Hill, Henrico Co Virginia just east of Richmond. Va.

That is a really nice coin. And I just seen one at a coin shop this weekend and my goodness are they small. Good job Tom.

Great find!
I'm still looking for one, but I know that the XT-705 can find small silver.

The smallest silver coin that I've dug is a 1900 Canadian 5

Finding a silver 3-cent piece is a remarkable recovery. I know how excited you must be. Its a bit difficult to tell by the pics, but based on the distance the lettering is from the points of the star, and that there doesn't appear to be any lines bordering the star, I'd venture to say it is a Variety 1, minted from 1851 - 1853. Those from 1854 - 1873 had more distance between the letters and the star points. Also, the 1851 - 1853 did not have the olive leaves above the III, nor the bundle of arrows below the III. And yours, although worn, doesn't appear to have either. I tried to magnify your pic to get a better view of that last number in the date, but I can't be sure....... However, it doesn't have the linear shape of a 1. So based on all this "theory", I'd venture to say yours is either an 1852 or 1853. Regardless, CONGRATS on making the excellent recovery. And thanks for sharing your success with us. HH Randy

Great find! Congratulations

I super magnified your excellent picture and it sure looks like an 1852. So no doubt Digger is correct. What a great find!

Congratulations Tom on a great find! That sure would look nice setting next to that 1887 Morgan silver dollar I found a while back. Hopefully I'll find one someday.

thats really good to hit somthing on edge that deep , congradulations

Thanks guys...and Digger thanks for the information. Check out a 1851 three cent piece on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/1851%20three%20cent%20piece?_dmd=2&_sop=12&rvr_id=277482682055&clk_rvr_id=277482682055&MT_ID=69&crlp=9883154461_9403&tt_encode=raw&geo_id=1&keyword=1851+three+cent+piece&adgroup_id=2434534381

Great find! I have been fortunate enough to have found 2 of those. I'd take another any day of the week! I think that the silver ones were only a couple of years, mine are 1853 and 1854. Congrats!

Thats so cool

Thanks Smitty...not five feet from where you got the cannon. Tom