Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

black rock

coopercat

Can anyone help me identify this rock? I dug it up in a park near me. it was about 6 or 8 inches deep.

Attachments

• 0-1.jpeg
    0-1.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 0-2.jpeg
    0-2.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 0-3.jpeg
    0-3.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 327
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it's a piece of slag.

Thank you for looking into it. Thats kinda my opinion as well. I went to meteorite and slag pics on the web and found nothing that resembles it. It gave me a pretty good signal on my 800. I think i'll hang on to it just for the heck of it. Thanks again for responding!

Does it have any weight to it ? The slag in my area is usually more porous and fairly light weight.

It could very well be a chunk of meteorite. Not all rocks look exactly alike , especially one that could have been burning up in the Earths atmosphere. Does it have a layered make up.

It could very well be a chunk of meteorite. Not all rocks look exactly alike , especially one that could have been burning up in the Earths atmosphere. Does it have a layered make up.
Part of it seems to be layered, but it is hard to say for sure. It is extremely heavy for its size. I have dug up a lot of hot rocks (not where i found this rock) and their composition seems to be quite different. when all this virus stuff calms down i am going to take it to the university and have them take a look. Thanks for your interest.

Thats a good idea , the University should help get some of your questions answered. But don't quote me on that. LOL

Im on the OR coast and dug a typical looking beach rock, all smooth and rounded. Detector was saying dime so dug looking for a dime or copper penny. Drove me nuts until I realized the hand held pointer was basically touching a rock in the hole. No idea until I get it home and up to the College of Mines.....

IS THAT THE SAME THING AS A HOT ROCK?
no need to shout, I'm old but not deaf. A hot rock can be many different rocks from ironstone to basalt. Any rock that is highly mineralized including magnetite, hematite, limonite, maghemite and lepidocrocite can generate a signal on your metal detector but usuall contain nothing of value and are considered "hot Rocks"