Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Blue sea cable clam connectors..

Mike(NC)

I am ready to make an attempt at converting a Tesoro land machine into a water shooter. I have the water tight box and now need to get the connectors to seal the hole cut for my coil cable and my headphones. I notice there are several sizes of clam connectors. I'm assuming I need the largest size? Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks...Mike

I think there are two sizes, while researching for a project of mine I think the larger size is what you need, maybe 7/8'?? Either way you are probably bet off with getting the largest size to be safe.

You are aware that you have to remove the cable connector, feed the cable through the hole you drill, then re-attach the connector to use the cable clam seals? It is a bit misleading in the product info. The cable clams are only meant to be deck seals and may leak under any kind of pressure.

Dtektor said:
You are aware that you have to remove the cable connector, feed the cable through the hole you drill, then re-attach the connector to use the cable clam seals? It is a bit misleading in the product info. The cable clams are only meant to be deck seals and may leak under any kind of pressure.

I was not aware you had to remove the cable connector. That was the whole point of those things and why they are so big. I know Ive seen videos of them and the connectors were not removed. The rubber grommet has a cut so it can be slide onto the wire without removing the connector otherwise you could just use a cable gland, feed the wire through and it would 1/4 the size.

I dont recall what video it was but I know people have at least cut a slit in the grommet to slide it on the wire. In fact I know my buddy uses one of these for a plano box to feed several wires through without a problem. Im using a splice tube for one of my projects to put the coil connector in and it has the same function as the cable clam does. I did the same thing with the grommet so I can just put that on the wire without cutting the end off. Havent tested it yet but Im pretty sure it will be fine since it is super tight when clamped down.

Yep. The concept behind the cable clam seals is that, once you have re-assembled the cable/connector on what will be the "dry side" or "inside" of the gland, the next time you need to remove the equipment from the boat, all you have to do is remove the screws around the perimeter of the cable clam. Then the rubber gland, cable and connector can easily be removed from the boat while still attached to the piece of electronic/electrical equipment. I may have missed something here but as soon as you cut the slit in the rubber gland, you will have to use some other material to seal it up reliably.

I was incorrect and I apologize. I have attached a tech drawing from Blue Sea Systems re: the Cable Clam which clearly shows the slit in the rubber gland.