Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bobcat sighting

bootyhoundpa

saw my first pennsylvania wild bobcat the other day... it ran across the road i front of our car as myself and the wife were headed to the u pull it junkyard.... at first i thought it was a dog till i saw the round head and short tail...as we got closer to it there was no doubt.... we just both looked at each other and each other -what did you see..... as a side note my wife tends to see some exotic creatures when no one is with her ,but this time i was there.... just curiuos if anyone else in the northeast has seen any bobcats or if you wish to share a story of a unique critter sighting in your area that would be cool too....... dave.

Cool! I remember driving through the Black Hills of SD with the wife and daughter, up ahead I saw what appeard to be one of those black plastic garbage bags caught in a fence and full of air...I said, "Hey theres a bear!" and by golly as we got closer, sure enough, it was a bear crawling through the fence!

About 48 years ago a friend and I went to western Va to hunt squirrel. I had cleaned our days harvest and placed them in the stream to keep them cool. Dinner had been cooked and eaten and we were just sitting by the fire enjoying life. Heard a spine tingling scream up on the hill above our camp. Shortly after there was another scream farther away. I sat there for a little listening to the bobcats talk to each other when I realized that my friend was no where to be seen. I got a flashlight and started looking for him. He was in the car, windows rolled up, doors locked and he wasn't going to open them for nothing. It took me quite some time to convince him that it was safe to unlock the doors. However there was absolutely no way that I could convince him that we would be safe to camp there for the night. So I had to drive all the way back to Norfolk where we were stationed that night. When deer hunting I have had bobcat walk thru under the tree where I was perched. Beautiful animal to watch.

thats a funny story george..... i hope your buddy brought an extra pair of scivvies.... mudpuppy-ive seen a bear on this same stretch of road years ago....what is that creature in your avitar.... salamander ?

Well up here in the Great Northern Woods of Wisconsin I see them every year at least 2 or 3 times a year . But about 6 years back I spotted a very rare site of a Cougar or some call a Mountain Lion crossing a road near me by a fire lane . The Cat was huge and I'd have to say well over 100 pounds closer to 120 or more ! I'd have to say it's shoulders were about 30 inches tall . And it crossed the road in about three strides (from shoulder to shoulder) and I was stunned to say the least . At the time there was only rumors that they had made a comeback but this verified to me that it was a fact . I called my wife and the DNR to report the sightings .
Then about 2 weeks later I seen another crossing the same area and big but not as big as the first , smaller maybe but only by 20 pounds . A week after that I saw one of the pairs kits ( I think they are called that ) and it alone was bigger than a average Bobcat so I knew there was a pride in my area . In fact the baby was on my property so I will assume the male and female was too . I haven't seen them since but the travel and move in a very large radius even bigger than bears sometimes or so I've been told . A friend and Bear hunter had his dogs tree one or so he said .
Can someone tell me if it's the male or female cougar who's bigger ?
And as far as wildlife up here in Wisconsin we have it all ... well not gators but just about everything with fur ... Nature Rocks! HH , Woodstock

wow, woodstock-mountain lion,thats getting serious....dont know what i would do if i saw one of those while on foot...... from what my father tells me years ago when people would report bobcat sightings the game wardens claim that was impossible because none existed in pa... now they actually have hunting and trappingpermits in certain parts of the state....dave..

Yeah, the wildlife in general has really staged a comeback in our lives..hikers getting attacked by cougars in California in the news a lot.
good gosh I got turkeys by the ton out back of the house, deer everywhere, you know..just in our lifetimes...
Mud

Several years back a friend had gone rabbit hunting in a state not known for black bears. There had been rumors of sightings along the border of another state but not much else in years prior. Anyway, he called me and said he swore he saw bear tracks in the snow but couldn't be sure, and this was dead center in the middle of this state where no such sightings of black bears had been heard (that I know of anyway, as I follow this kind of stuff closely).

So he wanted me to take a trip and head down there the next day for a rabbit hunt, but more to the point so I could see these tracks and convince him he wasn't crazy. So we started down this old logging trail, as I was in the valley and he was on a nearby ridge spine some 20 feet higher than me, should any rabbits get kicked out either way for both of us to have a shot at...When I came upon the general area where he said he saw the bear tracks, and sure enough I looked down in the snow and saw them myself. We followed them for a while, and while they weren't as big as what you would think would be typical, they were bigger than any dog track I ever saw and also had that distinct look of the pads bear tracks have on them, complete with the claws.

That was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Never saw a bear in real life, let alone it's tracks. Far as I know nobody that I ever heard from had reported bears being dead smack in the middle of that state. Only along the far border to another state with a small population of them.

Just goes to show, that animals are rather elusive. Chances are when they say some animal is extinct it's just that it's population has dropped so far in numbers that nobody ever sees one again. Plus, animals hunted to near extinction tend to be very shy and elusive. The only ones left are the ones with the genetic traits to have personalities so as to avoid man at all cost.

Another time I was sitting on a deserted road in the wild at night, and for no rhyme or reason I turned my head lights on to take a quick gander around me. Directly in front of my truck I saw four glowing eyes. As they moved off I could see it was a pair of grey or silver fox. Those animals are extremely rare compared to red foxes in many states, including where I was at. Felt bless to have seen such a thing.

I've also got on video a piebald buck I stalked in the woods. I've completed editing the video on youtube but I'm hesistant to post it. I don't want people bothering that deer, though I edited the video to avoid disclosing the location. Still, I don't want a bunch of people bothering me asking where it was. Some people get trophy crazy that way, and although I am a hunter I don't want to see that deer harassed.

Besides, the video was from about 7 years ago when it was probably two years old by the looks of it's rack. Chances are that deer is long dead, although I did catch a glimpse of him about 3 years ago or so, but it's rare for a deer in the wild to live much beyond about 5 or 6 years or so. One day here if I decide it's worth the risk to post I'll throw up a link to the video. Right now it's set as private by invite only.

Oh yea, got another one that comes to mind- Several years ago I was detecting in the woods. Heard a loud racket making it's way up the hill to the top of the ridge spine I was on. I sat on a log and watched, wondering what the heck was making so much noise. As I anxiously waited, suddenly I saw a flock of about 9 turkeys peak the hill about 20 yards from me, 2 or 3 of which were completely white albinos. Very cool. Just wish I had my camera for that one too...

One more...Sitting in a deer stand one day I saw something small and black making it's way down the deer trail. Turned out it was a ferret-like looking animal about the same size as one. I suspect it was a weasel but not sure on that.

white turkeys critter? never heard of em... but that dont mean im doubting your story.... im sure your very much more in tune with the ways of wildlife than i am..... thanks for the reply.... also thanks for the reply mudpuppy..... scooby told me that thing in your avitar is a michigan mudpuppy..... are they common in your area.... happy hunting whether it be for treasure or critters.....

When you say Northeast, like in New England ?

I have come across bob cats quite a bit while hunting in New Hampshire & Maine over the years.

I have also come across mountain lions twice in New Hampshire. One was many years ago, (40 yrs), when I was hunting a snow covered mountain in Ossipee NH. The cat had just made a kill of a small deer, and was dragging up into the woods. Being inexperienced as I was, I foolishly decided to go after the cat. Fortunately for me, I didn't catch up to it. At the time I felt like the great white hunter with my 300 mag, and never thought about what could happen to me in this scenario if I caught up to the cat.

Recently, last year in Northern New Hampshire, I had a real large mountain lion step out in front of my auto as I was driving on a dirt road in the mountains. No mistake here. I was driving a Mercury Grand Marque, and his head was over the top of my hood looking at me thru the windshield. Very very impressive. I have been back to the same area a few times, and it's still there. Caught glimpse's of it. I don't want to give the location because mountain lions in New Hampshire are a protected species. If they're in a area, the Fish & Game department will close down the area to humans if they are aware of it, and I don't want this persons land closed. Even as a owner you can't go back there after closing.

On the extremes of this, my wife & I have seen a mountain lion in the Everglades of Florida . They call them Puma's there. In the middle of the glades, I made a pit stop, and on the other side of the ditch the animal was drinking. He boogied out of there as soon as I stopped.

Mr. Bill

awesome story mr bill ,thanks for sharing..... several decades ago my father and uncle use to hunt somewhere in the back hills in new hampshire.......i dont recall them ever seeing any mountain lions but i know my uncle found some real nice old mid 1800s bottles laying right on the surface.....i remember one of them was that bitters bottle shaped like a corn cob..... that was like 35-40 years ago.... i guess the fish and game commission have quite a bit of authority up there to keep even the owner off his own land..... i thought new hampshires motto was -live free or die-...lol lol...thanks again for your story-very interesting...

Hello everyone. Very interesting stories about wildlife.
I'm a big fan to wildlife. Here too we have wild animals, but it is silly to want to compare this small country with his, which in animals are number them one. It would be a dream to visit one of its famous parks and natural sites
Thank you for sharing

As for big cats. May places seem to think they do not have any. But the cats do exist and travel quite far. 1500 mile range is nothing for a mt lion.