Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bomb civil war

I have unloaded several Parrot shells that I dug years ago, but after an "expert" blew himself up in Richmond, I decided not to do it ever again.
I really don't see a reason to disarm it.
It's not an impact or detonation type trigger.
Though I understand some experimented with impact shells. Maybe what he found.
It's a fuse that was supposed to light and burn from the flame of black powder launching it.
Though occasionally the wick after rolling down the barrel ended up facing away from the powder charge and Not lighting.
As long as it's not in a fire. Or Grandpa doesn't put his cigar out in it. Should be fine.
Actually I believe if you sealed the fuse with epoxy.
Only being in an actual fire would be capable of igniting the fuse.

It's a fuse that was supposed to light and burn from the flame of black powder launching it.
Though occasionally the wick after rolling down the barrel ended up facing away from the powder charge and Not lighting.
As long as it's not in a fire. Or Grandpa doesn't put his cigar out in it. Should be fine.
I would have worried about having a fire in the house. I sold a lot of my stuff many years ago. I know of a non-dug Hotchkiss shell that I could have bought for 50.00, but wouldn't touch it.

I would have worried about having a fire in the house. I sold a lot of my stuff many years ago. I know of a non-dug Hotchkiss shell that I could have bought for 50.00, but wouldn't touch it.
Which ones did they develope an impact Mercury Fulminate detenatator for ???

The problem with not disarming a shell could be legal. State laws differ, but in TN we can own the shells, but if there was a house fire and a shell blew up, any injuries to fire crews or others would be your responsibility.

It stated that this type of shell did have a percussion type fuse in it.

It stated that this type of shell did have a percussion type fuse in it.
Interesting.
I would Never attempt to drill a capsule full of a primary explosive.
Maybe soak in an acid that only attacks the non magnetic capsule. Typically brass or bronze.
At a very remote subsurface shack.
Then another chemical that will safely breakdown the primary. Most likely Mercury Fulminate.
Though now I'm finding potassium chlorate and sulfur and charcoal was used. A very touchy material.
Like modern flash powder,, potassium perchlorate and 400 mesh aluminum powder.
Though with hyper sensitivity and more power.
Nobel even lost a brother to it's attempted commercial manufacture.
So far I'm finding no shells detonated by percussion primers.
Percussion and friction primers were used to fire the cannons. And small arms. Mostly chlorate mixtures and later chlorate fulminate mixtures.
Per "Chemistry of Powder and Explosives" PDF

https://www.essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com/small-arms-and-ammunition.html

Interesting.
I would Never attempt to drill a capsule full of a primary explosive.
Maybe soak in an acid that only attacks the non magnetic capsule. Typically brass or bronze.
At a very remote subsurface shack.
Then another chemical that will safely breakdown the primary. Most likely Mercury Fulminate.
Though now I'm finding potassium chlorate and sulfur and charcoal was used. A very touchy material.
Like modern flash powder,, potassium perchlorate and 400 mesh aluminum powder.
Though with hyper sensitivity and more power.
Nobel even lost a brother to it's attempted commercial manufacture.
So far I'm finding no shells detonated by percussion primers.
Percussion and friction primers were used to fire the cannons. And small arms. Mostly chlorate mixtures and later chlorate fulminate mixtures.
Per "Chemistry of Powder and Explosives" PDF

https://www.essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com/small-arms-and-ammunition.html

I found an artillary shell percussion fuse some years ago and it was used in a Shenkel shell… from my research they were 85% effective at detonating on impact, which sounds pretty good for back then.