Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bonus Hunt Day...Thanks, jim tn!

JoeVal

Thanks to jim tn for reminding me about woods detecting once my open parks froze over. I took his advice and headed to one of our local Metroparks for an afternoon of hill climbing and detecting the floor of the woods. I managed to get a small amount of clad on the sides of the walking trails before getting off the path and heading up the side of the hill to hunt between the boulders and trees.

I managed to dig two 12ga headstamps from the 20’s-30’s, a link off some sort of equipment, two "C" hooks that were within 10’ of each other and a spent .22 round. Not shown are three .22 lead bullets that drove me crazy digging them up in the very humus rich soil. Managed the obligatory mess of cans, slaw and a couple of bottle caps.

All in all it was a fun afternoon of chasing the unknown in the woods. There was virtually no wind, so even at 34F, I was more than comfortable in my winter hunting outfit. Thanks, again, to jim tn for the reminder. We have our first snow storm of the season coming in tomorrow, so I probably won’t be getting out again until early next week. Weekends are out, as the park is always filled with folks enjoying cross country skiing, snowshoeing and just enjoying the outdoors. I really don’t want to start attracting people off of the paths and into the areas I’m hunting among the brush and windfalls.

Your are welcome and glad you were able to get out. We have two similar old (old) parks in my area and they have yielded some amazing finds for me. Most recently a 1844o Seated quarter terrific condition. HH jim tn

Its fun hunting the timber in the late winter, the tracks in the snow let me know what kind if a gridder I am not LOL:rolleyes:
Jeff

laplander said:
Its fun hunting the timber in the late winter, the tracks in the snow let me know what kind if a gridder I am not LOL:rolleyes:
Jeff

Yeah...there’s that to see how good of a job you’re doing or not doing!:yikes:

This was my first exposure to actual relic hunting, and I’m looking forward to spending more time this winter in the deep woods of out parks. Knowing that there were people hunting this land before being donated or purchased by the park system, makes me believe they’ve left other things behind besides spent shotgun shell casings. Most of our park lands are not well suited to agriculture or pasture land, as they are mainly hilly, rocky or in flood plains along rivers. Lots of land carved by the retreating glaciers in the Great Lakes region. All perfect game habitat for hunters and fishermen, who are notorious for losing things in the outdoors (from the voice of experience!)

Hoping to make som additional finds next week when I get back out. This could get addicting! :twodetecting:

JoeVal, it's great that you got out swinging the coil! You are one hard-core detectorist! Good for you. Come on Spring... Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel