Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Book Excerpt: "Equinox Audio Recognition"

cjc

13/ Audio Recognition
The Equinox’s audio tones need some practice to interpret. One of the first things I noticed about this detector was that it reported multiple tones on some bottle caps--a very good sign. That is the brass, the tin, the steel of these caps--all sounded off. Some also gave weak, broken tones. This was due to the machine’s precise reporting and built in bias against iron, steel, odd shaped objects and alloys. When you learn to listen for these broken, “skewed,” “bitty” or multiple tones the need to be continually looking at the meter is reduced.
The Equinox’s sophisticated electronics make for a high standard of processing. What I mean by this is that an object has to be “clean” metal, coin sized, and ideally, round to produce a good sound (and stable, centered ID). The key is to learn to listen for the work that the detector is doing for you. This involves audio recognition. A good way to practice your “ear” skills is to try and tell if something will “stay in” --that is--be a repeatable signal from the first sound it makes. This is a good way to get in the habit of concentrating on the signal tone.

It’s not enough to hear a sound that falls within a given “notch” or discriminate pattern. Practice listening hard for “quality signals.” This simple basic skill is worth all the features and settings in the world.
Another thing worth noting in the design of the pre-set modes is that where the intention is to use “Tone Break” to segment and distinguish between targets on the conductive scale--“5 Tone” is used. (“Park 1” and “Beach 1”). The idea here is the use the machine’s clean transitions to be alerted to exact differences--between a silver coin and a zinc penny for example.
Where the intention is to select the cleanest responses in dense trash, “50 Tone” is used. (“Park 2” and “Field 2”). This is more of a jewellery setting that allows
you to hear more definition in the tones and listen for even sounds. Objects like misshapen lead scrap, “can-slaw,” and weak foils will become more obvious using “50 Tone.”
Become familiar with both of these types of approaches--it’s an important difference in the types of applications and target distinctions that the Equinox is capable of.
Picture Caption:
Audio recognition of poor versus quality responses with a high gain detector. With a high gain detector like the Equinox, it’s important to learn to recognize short, “clipped” “sound offs” that the machine's power can bring up. Another thing to listen for is the broken or segmented “too big” tone.

From: The Minelab Equinox: "From Beginner to Advanced" (201:geek:
by Clive James Clynick

Nice write up,tones,sound are very important I agree and look earning it all will take some time.i was hunting yesterday and feel like I'm starting to tell a coin from same vid numbered trash pretty good as the coin to me sounds a little more faint,crisp where the can slaw,bottle cap is louder and just sounds bigger.

and those spikes and wraps hit with very solid "edges--too good to be true. Running A/M is a good way to get used to hearing the difference.
cjc

:thumbup:

Rich -

Great write up! I've got well over 100 hours on my Nox especially after a three day ghost town trip this past week. I'm now much more trusting of the tones and ID #s even calling targets as accurately as the CTX. Perhaps I'm a slow learner but I think something clicks at about the 100 hour mark. If I were forced to choose I would now pick the Nox over my E-TRAC (keeping both for now though the E-TRAC is now back up). I feel that a lot of the griping about the IDs, etc. is because the user just hasn't spent enough time with it yet.

Dean

It is a nicely explained write up and I'll be glad to read the entire book But. I have dug hundreds of crappy sounding GREAT targets. Listening for the "Round Target" nice sound is a recipe for leaving excellent targets behind.Better to concentrate on proper sized positive targets. Lastly the extremely limited TID range of the Equinox is never going to be as descriptive as a CTX. It's nice to think your calling targets but best to dig them based on the site your on the size of the target and the TID.

Totally agree with you CT. With this machine it's too close to call on many targets. I've almost left good stuff behind a few times,

You are correct. It is best to dig targets based on the site, size, and TID. Which is, of course, what any seasoned hunter would do.
I have yet to be surprised by a iffy/crappy sounding target being something good. Of course, we will all get fooled by the crappy targets that sound great. Like old tin can lids with lead solder. You can't pass on them. No machine can properly ID them and some other site specific trash.

Dean

Wow:

Todd indicates that crappy sounding targets can be and are often great targets.

Dean indicates he has never found a crappy sounding target to be good.

Is this a case of what one is looking for and considers good; coins, relics, gold?

parkgt said:
Wow:

Is this a case of what one is looking for and considers good; coins, relics, gold?

I think its a case of how someone defines a "crappy sounding target". I have dug deep, on-edge coins with the nox that one person might call crappy. But I recognize the response type as being likely a deep coin so I call it a good signal.

Let's not forget......different people hear things differently.
Tones, High Pitch, low pitch.

parkgt said:
Wow:

I believe that it is a function of the site and what type of targets it holds. An old colonial site is going to have different trash and good targets than a western ghost town. Therefore, different trash and treasure signals.
Different ground as well...mineralization, etc.

Dean

I think it’s a matter of spending the time on the nox. 100 hrs or more will give a better understanding. The ctx needed a lot of time to understand it. Learning he nox will be a process and unless you dig it all to start, you are going o miss some targets. You have to leave some targets, so when you got fiquired out , there will be something left .. H.H.

Clearly this is more art than science! MDing has so many variables and all that is filtered through the subjective filter of hearing and interpretation unique to every detectorist! I actually make a living by stating the obvious, BTW.
I have felt like I had a reasonable grasp on target ID from the start. Certainly not a perfect prediction on every target by any means, but they made sense. I just ordered Clives new book. I've missed obvious before and don't mind learning from an expert! Now that my Equinox has arrived I can wait for a book about it. Patience...

Nice writeup. Just ordered the book for a German delivery. :cheers:
Looking forward to this read.

EMS

Damn Clive, I'm very impressed at how quickly you became an 'expert' with the 800, and even more so that you've already written a book about it.
been quite a busy beaver up there in the cold north, eh, lol

That's a very tough question and its really about context. I've written a book that has a partial beginner focus--has to. A lot of these UK guys are digging in centuries worth of iron, so digging every repeatable sound makes sense. But for the learner I really feel that starting with "quality" responses is what will make you more accurate on the marginal ones down the line. As well if you are a relic hunter looking for corroded brass, these are going to be more varied.
The idea I try to convey in the book is learn to walk first--then work on the nuances. I see too many utube videos of guys just going from one crap target to the next without actually getting their money's worth from the machine's nice bias towards good metals.
cjc

This is why Im so hesitant to do these book excerpts--the context is not that clear. The book does have a partial beginner focus--the nuances come later. I'm trying to teach accuracy--not a "clean sweep" on the first day.
cjc