Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Books and Equipment

madaboutmike

Dear Ground Scroungers, I live in the Northeast and the ground is thawing. Time to get out and get that money! Got a MXT last year. Over the weekend I learned that my cousin moved to a renovated school house built around 1900. The indians burned the town down during the King Philip War. I'm thinking about old coins, barter items, and hopefully arrowheads. Since this town has the reputation of many hauntings and diabolical intrusions, I'll bring a string of garlic. Are there any MXT instructional books on the market besides the info. Whites sends along. Also considering Whites pouch but is it durable for the rough treatment I give it. I have Whites headphones, destroyed them and a pair of Koss, also destroyed them! I'm looking for another pair to ruin! Would deeply appreciate any educated opinions. I've been using the vibra probe Kellyco sold me. I like it a lot because it runs on its own battery but am thinking of upgrading to Sunray. Question about Sunray: This probe runs off the battery pack, how fast does this deplete batteries? Mike

No faster than using the coil for the final pinpoint. The coil and probe are never on at the same time. Actually it probably uses less battery drain as retrieval is much faster than trying to find the target in the hole just using the coil, etc.

Ralph (Sun Ray)

Mike, About the battery drain with the MX-1 probe.....It doesn't! It's the best. You can't go wrong with the attached probe. It's like a mini one inch coil. And as for headphones....I use the Sun Ray Pro Gold. I've had them for over a year now and I wouldn't part with them. I use to use Koss, then went to Grey Ghosts. Then I bought the Pro Gold.........YES, I've heard more deeper targets and have retrieved more fantastic finds than ever. They are comfortable even in the hot muggy weather here in the IL summers. Very dependable and I honestly don't think you could go wrong with this set. IMHO.... Good luck and HH, Nancy

I echo the comments of Nancy and Ralph on the SunRay DX-1. You won't regret getting one. It offers a stronger signal so it locates much faster than the typical hand held models. You will cover more ground and obviously locate more targets. Also, its attached to the detector so your not fumbling with it or leaving it behind.
You asked about reading material. There is a book out titled "The MXT Edge". Haven't read it but many comments on the forums I've read were positive about it. Good Hunting.

n/t

Dear Nancy, Thanks for your timely information. I think we've spoken before. As a New Englander, detecting ends around November but now the thaw is on. When the robins start dining on my lawn, my thoughs turn to detecting. I'm going to start ordering right away but I face a surmountable dilema - I must come up with a very honorable gift for my girlfriend before the items arrive! Sometimes it not the cost of a particular item, it's the expense of acquiring acceptance. Thanks again and happy hunting, Mike

I have the DX-1 on my MXT and like everyone so far, I love it. Only downside I can see is that it's not usable with other detectors (unless compatible) if you have several models. On the other hand, hard to forget and leave behind which I've done several times with stand alone models. LOL
HH
BB

Went to my local friendly MD vendor over the weekend, TC Metal Detectors in Windsor, CT. I looked for him last summer but since he works out of his house, the local ordinances don't allow a sign, that's why I couldn't find him - got him out of another web site. He had exactly what I wanted. I ordered a DX-1 probe, bought a 'Lesche' digging tool and the book, The MXT Edge' by Jeff Foster, $21.95. The book is 114 pages and nicely bound - not a cheap factory manual. I read it cover to cover and highlighted tech info not printed in White's manual - it's a good reference book. Also got a set of 'Killer Bees' -like them a lot for the head fit. Heard a curious bit of info. Tony said there was an supply problem with Sunray probes. Apparently the jack supplier sent the wrong size jacks, the males wouldn't fit the females. After repeated calls and conversations with the engineer who insisted the jacks fit, a new order was sent ot Sunray. So if there's been any sluggishness in getting new Sunray probes, that's the answer. It was nice fo a change to see actual floor samples instead of taking a chance and waiting for mail order. He also had the 'Vibra Probe - glad I got one when it was $99.00 - now almost $30.00 more! I'm ready to be dangerous at ground zero! Mike

I bought my DX-1 just as they were coming back on-line with them. I was told it was the unavailability of the shielded flex cable they use. Glad to see SunRay stuck to their quality standards and waited for the right component. Great tool.

The only book you need is "The MXT Edge" at fielddepth.com or other places.
The DX1 probe does speed up battery depletion but not by much and is worth every bit. It is so sensitive it can actually be a pain to use when you first get it but after a little while you learn it's nuances and it is very easy. Any good headphones, I use Ratphones and a most important item would be the 6X10 DD coil. Let us know how you are making out with that spot.

It's interesting how rumors get started. I own Sun Ray Detector Electronics and I have no clue as to what your dealer is talking about. If we are back ordered on products it is just that - back ordered on production. The demand is sometimes greater than our ability to produce the needed volume. Sometimes we have shortages of materials but I am unfamiliar with the story you were told. Just thought I would set the record straight.

Ralph (Sun Ray)
Sun Ray Detector Electronics

Got to get permission for site - they're thinking about it. I'd like to do it soon because there's been a lot of rain around here. Did make some good finds yest. in park while I was testing Killer Bees and new Lesche digging tool. Got a bracelet - sterling, an old cylindrical brass key, and a jackknife. Key and knife were 8-9" down. Mike

Ralph, In that case I'm glad your doing so well its hard to keep up with demand. I think you put out a great product. It holds up very well and I'm glad I purchased it.