Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Books as a resource

firstring

I have started my 3rd year metal detecting. I love my machine and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It serves a purpose very well. I don't consider myself a rookie, and I am definitely not a seasoned veteran. By being a "seasoned" veteran, I mean a person who knows their machine, the nuances and quirks I'm sure they all have. They know how to fine tune the machine for the specific ground conditions and for the targets they are seeking. They know the sounds, signals, what the machine is telling them. They are able to pick out the subtle information, even amongst the iron and trash. They are then able to interpret that information. They have the ability and their machine has the capabilities to pull a silver coin 10 inches or more between two nails. They know how to set up their machine for any situation they come up against. They are one with their machine. The brand matters not, it's the person. Lots of books have written on specific brands. Lots have been written on where and how to hunt. I got a library full. Topics include maximum performance, maximum depth, coin shooting, jewelry, beach hunting and relic hunting, where to go, what to look for, the list goes on. I got them all. Knowing my machine isn't good enough. I found a new book. OH NO, NOT ANOTHER ONE! It is written by an active metal detectorist, who uses methods to get the results I want. He writes about changes in detecting strategies and techniques. At first read, I thought the about things I already knew. I read about simple things I either forgot or didn't know. This book has workouts listed in the back. Yesterday, I did the first workout at a park known for its trashy and I mean trashy areas. Even with my 4x6 DD coil, it was a workout. The point being after going over a 5 foot by 10 foot area trying to ID ALL targets before I dug them up, in the process I ended up with 39 good clad coins and part of a silver bracelet. I am looking forward going back with a larger coil. This park is over 100 years old, what else is under the trash? This is an example of why books can be an excellent tool for dectorists. I'm here to learn how to become better. It's great to have people share where they went, that's where I want to go. I think I just need to go back to METAL DETECTING BOOT CAMP. (Thank you Magic)

You can never learn enough about metal detecting. That's for sure. HH