Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Both Feet. A relic hunting question

Bob38

GPXers

For about a month now I have been hunting an area that has had the addition of about 8 inches or more to help divert rainwater runoff into an adjacent neighborhood. This dirt was added about 30 years ago and is terraced with some soil being thicker than others Along the edges where no fill dirt was added, I have found several three ringers, eagle buttons and other relics like suspender clips. It is a forgone conclusion that relics remain beyond the reach of my equinox 800's capability and constantly receive a null from targets just out of reach. For a few months now I have been researching PI machines and have settled on the GPX 4500. I'm jumping in with both feet but I love this lifestyle and will continue it until I end up at a nursing home watching old westerns on the GRIT channel. Therefore, I wanted to reach out to this group of experienced hunters to see if the GPX 5000 would give me more latitude after I had a few years of experience. if this was the case, I would rather spend the extra money now than end up selling the GPX 4500 to buy a 5000 later. I'm a relic hunter so I thought the 4500 should meet my needs and will probably never nugget hunt due to the characteristics of my region.

Long story short, is there any advantage a relic hunter would have with a 5000 that he wouldn't have with a 4500?

Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Nevermind

I just bought a GPX 4500 from Fort Bedford Metal Detecting. There is a lot to learn and I'm on my second reading of the manual.

For Relic hunting the 4500 will do you a fine job. For nugget hunting gold I would go for the 5000 for the extra timings. I have one field that I thought I have dug everything out with my Sovereign and purchased a 4500 then it was like going to a new spot with the 11 inch coil. Then I was sure I cleaned it out and then I purchased a 12x15 Minelab coil and dug may more bullets, buttons , few coins and brass items. After the 12x15 coil I was sure their was nothing left , but later I found a used Minelab 18 inch coil and dug 70 more bullets , 6 buttons , US Bridal Rosette, and a half dime out of a small 5 acre patch next to the rail road tacks. Jim

That’s what I’ve been hearing. I have several places the GPX can be used at. Very little use of PI machines in my area so I really believe the GPX will open up new opportunities for me. I adjust pretty fast to new machines but it will take some time to get a good grasp of it. My 4500 will be here Saturday. Thanks for the reply.