Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bottle bigins to tell a story of when , and why

GunnarMN

Thear is a spot hear in the Rum river vally flood plane that once had a small shack on it no foundation , but just a well point and a small garden , as you can still see asperigrass growing amongs the trees of the woods it is an earea that floods, easaly and when it floods can only be reached by boat as many Ox bows cut it off unless its dry , I have been trying to get a exact date on this place, - it shows on no old maps just west of the well lay a suface dump with old cans enamil ware, and some beer bottles the crocks seem to date from the 30,s as non are before 1897 but this bottle do tell a story - i positivly dated it to the year of 1937 it is a retunable , and that cliched a date I also found a few wisky bottles dated 1933 and after but nothing from the mid 1940,s and my conclusion is that during the great depression , a family lived hear , it was off the books, and it was dry years so it never would have flooded and they could have got back to the little high ground by the river , they lived in this spot untill the war and then all activity stopped THEY JOINED THE ARMY and left the spot or got a job because of the war efort .. but thru the depression they cut wood went fishing for food in the rum river , they trapped , they hunted the woods for game, as i find the old shells all over the woods and many date inthe 30,s but the war took them away from this little spot and they found jobs and after the war it began to flood again, so now a perfect snapshot of a 1930,s squatters shack remans , I hope to get a better trail out to it and look for some things the old token was found close by , and you could bet 1 penny was alot in those days you can see the wear marks on the bottom of the bottle shows it has been returned I know its not valuble but it tells a story of those days and what they had to do to make it

Great story Gunnar! Well, I hope you can get in there and spend some time metal detecting the area. Real neat bottle and token and wish you luck in finding more out of this area.

Thear is a spot hear in the Rum river vally flood plane that once had a small shack on it no foundation , but just a well point and a small garden , as you can still see asperigrass growing amongs the trees of the woods it is an earea that floods, easaly and when it floods can only be reached by boat as many Ox bows cut it off unless its dry , I have been trying to get a exact date on this place, - it shows on no old maps just west of the well lay a suface dump with old cans enamil ware, and some beer bottles the crocks seem to date from the 30,s as non are before 1897 but this bottle do tell a story - i positivly dated it to the year of 1937 it is a retunable , and that cliched a date I also found a few wisky bottles dated 1933 and after but nothing from the mid 1940,s and my conclusion is that during the great depression , a family lived hear , it was off the books, and it was dry years so it never would have flooded and they could have got back to the little high ground by the river , they lived in this spot untill the war and then all activity stopped THEY JOINED THE ARMY and left the spot or got a job because of the war efort .. but thru the depression they cut wood went fishing for food in the rum river , they trapped , they hunted the woods for game, as i find the old shells all over the woods and many date inthe 30,s but the war took them away from this little spot and they found jobs and after the war it began to flood again, so now a perfect snapshot of a 1930,s squatters shack remans , I hope to get a better trail out to it and look for some things the old token was found close by , and you could bet 1 penny was alot in those days you can see the wear marks on the bottom of the bottle shows it has been returned I know its not valuble but it tells a story of those days and what they had to do to make it