Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottle caps and small iron items

bottle caps = not at all - usually a high low tone - same as gold for me.....iron = pretty well, usually a low high, rough sounding, and can use "iron check" on them to confirm.

Where do you plan to use the ATX and what are you searching for? If you are searching beaches or wading in shallow water, then I would recommend that you dig everything. Here I always use zero discrimination, the factory default setting. I dig a lot of hair pins, small nails, wire, pull tabs, and bottle caps but almost every hunt produces some gold or silver. I've often thought that the signal under my coil was just another hair pin only to find that a small gold ring appeared in my scoop. Now if you are searching for big items, you might want to eliminate all surface trash and in this case you could use the discrimination control feature. As you increase the discrimination, large iron is the last to be discriminated. On several occasions I've successfully used the ATX with the 15"x20" coil to find underground fuel tanks and pipes that other detectors could not find. I think this would be a great relic detector but I'll leave that for someone else to comment.

Thanks a lot guys I'm trying to decide if I want to pluck down the bucks for beach hunting on the treasure coast.:drinking:confused:

some of the new bottle cap are very hard to tune out even with a VLF detector . I set my disc. at 3. it gets rid of a lot of small iron.