Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottle caps and widescans

KennyD

Just got a black Vaquero with the 8x11 rsd coil. Man, it loves bottle caps.
Just can't disc out most of them. Am I missing a technique? How do you DD users ID caps? Or is it the nature of the beast?

I would try using the toe of the coil over the target is my best advise, it should break up the signal.

On the stock coil a bottle cap will often have a good tone at nickle then it becomes scratchy as it is thumbed up .

On most machines I've used, DD coils give a relatively good sounding signal on the bottle caps (steel). Monte has explained a good technique for separating out most of them, and it involves pinpointing the target, then moving the centre of the coil over the target...if it is a good target it should sound off as the toe of the coil goes over it, if it is a bottle cap, it may sound scratchy with the toe of the coil, or it may not sound off until it is in the middle of the coil....(I hope I've got that right). I've found that it works most of the time...sometimes you just have to dig to be sure.

I'm sure that other people have other ways of separating them to some degree (I dont know if there is any one technique that is totally foolproof). I have found that by making repeated passes, particularly when the edge of the coil goes over the target, a bottle cap can sound scratchy. Using the disc control can sometimes help.

Thank you very much for your replies guys!
I did try the "toe" method today, and it did seem to help.
I've mostly used concentric coils on my Tesoro machines in the past so the DD coils are making it tough for me. They just wont disc out alot of screw caps or steel caps.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that coins have a smoother tone than caps which seem be a sharper tone.

Love the tips and advice guys, thank you very much

On steel bottle caps with the Vaq, I put it in all metal and ease up to the target. It will scream before it is under the coil On coins it won't until the coil is over it.

It's my understanding that DD coils generally do not disc as well as the concentrics and tend to recognize caps as quarters.
BB

Steel Bottle caps always will be be a problem! The trick to help to identifying bottle caps is to find the exact center of the target and then slightly increase the loop speed! If it's a bottle cap the signal will start to break up. A good target like a coin will continual to respond as a solid hit in response.This works well for me.

don't detect where drunks hang out ? :poke:

if that doesn't work lift the coil and like above more it faster they either brake up or scream, sure way to work it out is dig enough of them they do have a sound all of their own !! and if all that fails go a concentric coil :biggrin:

AJ

wheatymike said:
On steel bottle caps with the Vaq, I put it in all metal and ease up to the target. It will scream before it is under the coil On coins it won't until the coil is over it.
Mike, tried this and it WORKS! Great tip! Thank you very much. I'm a happy camper now!
Ken

KennyD said:
wheatymike said:
Mike, tried this and it WORKS! Great tip! Thank you very much. I'm a happy camper now!
Ken
Your welcome. Glad I could help