Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bought a Garrett 1350. Have I made a mistake?

A

Anonymous

Hi
I am a complete newbie to the world of metal detectors.

Without doing much homework I bought a Garrett 1350

The main purpose I want a detector for is to locate old rubbish holes and outhouses around old farm houses so I can dig in those areas for old bottles

Now I find that although the 1350 is great at locating and identifing objects close to the surface, it may not be so great at locating metal objects say 2-3ft down which is typical for a farm rubbish hole

Is the 1350 as good as I am going to get or are there other Makes or Models which are more suited to my desired task

Does anyone know anything about the Seben Extreme? The blurb on Ebay says it can locate objects down to 2.5 mtrs. Can any other machine match this? Or is it just "sales talk"?

Thanks in advance, any help is sincerely appreciated

Don W

Starting with your last question the Seben will detect to the depths quoted if (a) you can buy one that works and (b) if the item is the size of a small European country.
Have a look at http://karr.Ocatch.com/ and see what a not so happy customer has to say.
Re your machine it will detector to a similar depth of other machines with the same size coil though the Garrett 2500 has an exceptionally deep all metal mode.
A high power pulse machine will go down several feet but would be difficult to use with the general metal rubbish scattered everywhere on a farm so why not pick up a two box machine (Whites/Discovery or Fisher) which will ignore the small metallic rubbish but will pick up bigger than fist size items at the depths you require.

Garrett has an Treasure Hound Eagle Eye...attachment for the GTI series but won't fit your 1350.
Has the ability to go down several feet and may be what your looking for. On any VLF unit such as the one you own will probably go a foot or better on large objects....at best....

I don't know about your particular MD needs, but I bought a 1350 last June and so far I have found 1 diamond ring and 540 coins with it, some as deep as 8-9".

You may want to look into a two box unit if your looking for deeply buried items I have a whites TM 808 and it works great. Garrett and Fisher also make a version plus some other brands I'm not familiar with.

It is an excellent coin and jewelry detector and is very sensitive to smallish items. I love mine. Garrett makes some fine gear.

Alas, I believe you have the wrong detector for your needs, though.

Follow the advice of the others here and get a two-box for your searching needs. If it was me, I'd get the Fisher as a sole deep seek unit, or a Garrett GTI2500 with the two-box head attachment - then I could do it all!

Hello from Texas! I wouldn't sell the 1350 just get Garrett's largest coil for this detector. I think that they make an oval 8 by 12 or larger coil?!!! Also for hunting old rubish piles search only in all metals and ignore small signals. Remember these piles contain a lot of tin cans and other iron debri. Concentrate on large wide sounds and carry a large shovel or use a backhoe. I've done this many times using an old (obsolete?) detector not even coming close to all of the capabilities of the Garrett 1350!!! Good luck!