Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bought a Tesoro Eldorado today, my first one.Air test not great.

Deese

Its a very nice machine used very little,it doesnt say umax on it but it is the plastic case and uses a 9v battery. It has the White 9x8 coil. Is the air test on these machines not so great? Being adjustable ground balance I didnt worry too much about it but it did seem a little weak. I couldnt get a small pair of fingernail clippers to disc out either,I havent brought home any rusty nails lately to test. I took it out in the yard and ground balanced it and swept around a little,I got alot of great repeatable signals. I hope to take it to the 200 year old homesite I have been hunting tomorrow,I have been pulling silver and old nickel there with the gold bug se. I hope the tesoro whips the gold bug I am ready to go back to beep and dig.

What do you consider a bad air test?

Are you comparing it to your GB SE?
Please remember air tests don't mean much. It's the in ground test that means everything.
You'll find hunting in all metal it goes deep as any other machine, it suffers a bit of depth loss in disc. mode but, so do other detectors.
You'll need to test both detectors side by side in actual ground hunting then determine which is better. More than likely you'll find both have their strengths
and weakness's and you'll find having both units will compliment each other----hear the GB suffers from EMI, never had that problem with my Eldorado.
Let us know

for what it's worth, my old big box Eldorado does not do impressive air tests, but it's a deep machine. sand or sandy loam soil in Georgia, even this confounded red clay, its a gem. deep, deep, but ground balance is crucial. in fresh water sand beach, bring a big shovel! i still use a buffalo nickel to tune with.

Air Test results not that bad,here are the results.
zinc penny-5.5
copper penny-6.0
nickel-5.0
dime-5.5
quarter-6.5
1-1/8" copper token-7.5
war nickel-5.0
silver dime-5.0
silver quarter-6.0
big gold ring 10k -6.5
The gold bug se matched these numbers,and beat the low conductors.Gold ring,and Nickel considerably. To be expected since its made for those.
However I had the 4.75" coil on the gold bug for this test.Pretty amazing for a tiny coil. I cant wait to get the Eldorado out tomorrow.

Deese said:
Air Test results not that bad,here are the results.
zinc penny-5.5
copper penny-6.0
nickel-5.0
dime-5.5
quarter-6.5
1-1/8" copper token-7.5
war nickel-5.0
silver dime-5.0
silver quarter-6.0
big gold ring 10k -6.5
The gold bug se matched these numbers,and beat the low conductors.Gold ring,and Nickel considerably. To be expected since its made for those.
However I had the 4.75" coil on the gold bug for this test.Pretty amazing for a tiny coil. I cant wait to get the Eldorado out tomorrow.

Compare your Eldo to mine, these are accurate air tests. Ground balance your Eldo, then recheck, you should be getting these air test depths or slightly
better or a tad less.

I've wondered about how to do a valid air test indoors in relation to the ground balancing question. That said, I've tested my Eldorado several times leaving the GB where it was set when the detector was put away. I get pretty much the same results as Sven posted and good depth in the field.
BB

My best estimate would put a clean used Eldorado umax in the 275 to 350 range. Just my opinion.
BB

I bought a NOS Eldorado a few years ago, and had the same questions/concerns as you. I really like mine! You got a GREAT machine.

Do yourself a favor and do your testing on a planted test garden that has been planted for 10-20 years with a properly ground balanced unit. Many dealers or perhaps a club member has one.

Although not a depth demon a lot depends on your ground and your expertise but feel Sven's chart is spot on.

yeah I used it yesterday,the ground was too wet. It just stopped raining here,It worked pretty good in the driest areas.Iron disc not as good as everybody says,I havent dug that much small iron in a long time.I will use it some more when it dries out.Its worth what I paid for it anyway. If anybody wants a nice one I would sell it for 300 dollars shipped to USA.

I had a Cibola which could air test to 14" but not anywhere even close to that in the ground.
I was so excited when I got it and air tested it but was quickly disappointed in the results.
OB

obolusman said:
I had a Cibola which could air test to 14" but not anywhere even close to that in the ground.
I was so excited when I got it and air tested it but was quickly disappointed in the results.
OB

Install Gb mod and it will go real deep in the ground...