Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bought a TIGER Shark, have questions..

pinenut

Hey folks.. I bought a Tiger Shark to play with and curious as to just how badly (or well) it'll do on California beaches. I know the Sand Shark is deeper and supposedly quieter running in salty stuff, but I kind of wanted discrimination so I won't be chasing after bobby pins a foot down.

Will the Tiger be OK on wet, low-tide sand?

You are going to get some chatter in the wet sand. You may have to drop your sensitivity way down, especially in the water. You may miss some small items because of it but larger rings shouldn't be an issue.

I've had my tiger Shark for three years now, overall I like it and would buy it again. It is difficult to ground balance in the black streaked wet salt sand of east coast beaches, but it is usable there. It runs a little better on the white sand beaches of the Caribbean and Mexico. I start out in normal mode, and only use salt mode if it won't ground balance in normal. The salt mode does seem to reduce it's performance some, but it is incredibly stable in normal mode and can often be used this way in wet salt sand. I run the discrimination between 1 and 3, it depends on conditions, you'll have to play with that setting yourself. I have never adjusted the sensitivity from the factory setting. It is an awesome machine in fresh water, where I use it the most. It does hit on small stuff and gold chains that PI and multi frequency machines will pass over. The only thing I would change if I had to buy it over again is I would have gone with the 10 inch coil rather than the 8 inch.

The Tiger Shark will do fine in the dry sand but only average in the wet. I love my Tiger Shark in the fresh water but not so much for salt water. The Makro Racer and Racer 2 are the best single frequency detectors I've used on the wet salt water beach sand but they still don't get the depth that the Minelab multi frequency detectors get in the wet.

Sorry, i meant discrimination, Inch it slightly up till stable. I get confused in my old age.

Well, I got it today and it's a beauty for being used. Even came with the warranty card. Supposedly only a few hours on the detector. Seems to go fairly deep, even in disc. Just hits a 10" buried nickel in gravel and soil mixed; I'm impressed. I set it up with the belt mount bag to lighten up the swing, but guessing the 8" coil is weighted; it feels heaver than my land 8" donuts. Hoping it'll do "well enough" at my ocean beaches on the wet sand.. I'll see next week.

That is really nice. It looks brand new. It will do fine in the wet sand, most of my issues occur in the water.

Looks great bud!!!
Nice to get such a clean used unit!!
Happy hunting!!