Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bought a Used Excalibur - Battery Pod Question

Folsom Don

I just bought a used Excalibur and the Nicad battery pack doesn't seem to hold a charge for very long. Can you buy aftermarket alkaline battery pods that the batteries can be easily changed? I noticed that Minelab has an alkaline pod, but it looks the same as the rechargeable pod which seems difficult to open/close.

Thanks in advance,

Don

Don If your talking about a battery pod like I have where you have to use a Alan key to get it to get the screws out? I went to the hardware store and got some wing nut type of screws and I keep the top on the battery pod until after I get the screws out. That way I can use it to help me get the top off easier. Be easy.
HH
Chris

Hey Don, I had my 5yr. old Nicad battery pod go out, a couple of months ago. I posted questions concerning having the pod re-built with new rechargable batteries. Numerous people advised me to contact my closest Batteries-Plus Store, and have it re-built by them. One of the guys in Florida told me, that he and numerous members of his local metal detecting club, had theirs re-built by Batteries-Plus, and they supposedly did a great job. I contacted my closest Batteries-Plus Store, which is about 75mi. away, but I have not followed through with it yet. Their website is Batteries-Plus.com. Hope this helps, hh

Thanks for the tips. I ended up buying a Minelab plastic alkaline battery battery holder (pod) for $38.25 from a dealer that I will modify like Chris suggested.

Don

Hey Tony, In answer to your question, my understanding is that they have a memory, and are not like nimh batteries. What I did was to try and keep a record of your hunting time per full battery charge (14hrs. on Minelab battery Charger). Then your pod should be fully charged as long as it was almost totally drained when you charged it. IMPORTANT, DO NOT OVERCHARGE YOUR BATTERY POD, as I believe it will start to drain off some of the voltage. This is what I have done over the five yr. period with my battery pod, before it stopped taking a full charge.
Furthermore, with a full charge, you should get close to (14-15 hrs.) of hunting time, before you starting getting that low battery noise signal. Hope this helps, hh

Thanks NVTS,
If I can squeek 5 good years out of my battery pods I will be very happy. By the way, do they make pods that take rechargeable NiMh?

SunRay makes pods that have the Nickle hydride in them, but Minelab dont make a Pod to take 10 of the AA batteries you need to get the 12 volts for the Excallibur. They just make the pod for 8 of the AA alkiline batteries, but 8 of the Nickle hydride if like the Sovereign will not work.