Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bought the 3-d need tips!

todd9146

thanks for the help with deciding on the fisher.i ended up with a super deal on a used 3d and was looking for some pointers on its goods and bads to get me moving along smoothly.:)

practice practice practice thats the key, For a while you will think there is something wrong with your detector(I did) then as YOU get better and learn your machine the better you will get. DON'T GIVE UP Go back through the CZ classroom form you will learn a lot from there too. Plant your garden now, let it age,the older the better! take a small note pad take notes on what your machine reads with certain coins. There are a lot of"tricks" with the CZ-3D Heres just one if it reads a high tone in enhanse mode you switch to salt mode and it changes to a lower tone its probably a nail. You will learn your machine give it a year,it takes a while to master( well thats what they tell me I'm far from there) Oh that garden I talked about,you'll learn how to build it here too!!!!! ron_boy45

don't airtest the 3d in enhanced mode, you will be disappointed if you do. It needs the dirt matrix or something like that for it to work properly. Also, newer nickels will hit in the mid tone or bounce from mid to high tone and register on the meter as round pulltab, I usually flip into the salt mode and if I'm in a newer site, and the needle flips from round pulltab to nickel, I dig it. But if I'm in an older site, I dig ALL high tone hits no matter what the meter says.

Also, I run either "O" descrimination or on "1". But one thing you will have to get used to, is this machine is one of the noisiest machines you have ever used while in the enhanced mode. If you are hunting in a newer site, you might want to hunt while in the salt mode, or the modern trash will drive you nuts or opt for a smaller coil.

Good luck,
Mike

A CZ3D is just an CZ5 with an enhanced mode....Old area use the enhanced mode and dig all the high tones, in a newer area use the regular salt mode....I think lots of users try to compare a CZ3D and CZ5 which puzzles me..Don't worry about where the targets come in as each mode is set up to handle either older coins or newer ones..
The preset is 3 for sensitivity and most can get it up to 4 or so while keeping a stable unit and where this( noisest machine) comes from unless the operator is trying to set up as a CZ5 where sensitivty settings are possible to 6-7-8..Guess they changed the sensitivty parameters so indeed tell yourself you have a CZ3D in your hand which should be applicable to previous CZ users.
Last but not least go to Mikes CZ page as it has a lot of tips..Don't make an easy machine hard, just read the manual and hit the fields and dig a lot until you get used to it as like previous CZ's is a depth demon even set at 4 sensitivty set up for old and new areas and has a short learning period at best.
I do agree comparing meter readings in both modes may help on those iffy ones and if anyone experimenting with same let us know as we all learn each day even if in the hobby for years..
Going back to noisest machine I realize from state to state or area to area conditions do differ, but in my neck of the woods a 4 plus seems to work well to give depth and a stable unit..your area may differ...

I can run mine where I'm at between 4 & 5 without flasing. What I'm referring to is the junk targets that the 3d will hit on in newer sites while in the Enhanced mode. Take a ballfield for instance, there are more pulltabs, gum wrappers, pieces of aluminum cans that have been cut up by lawn mowers then you will find in older sites.

While attending one of Nasa Tom's demo's on the CZ3d, he specifically stated as well as in the operators manual, if you hunt newer or post 1950 sites, hunt them in the salt mode for this very reason.

Now, there are some post 1950 sites that I hunt that I can hunt them in enhanced mode without a problem, but then there are others that the constant beeping will drive you nuts or at least it does me and thats when I flip to salt mode.

Now as far as the CZ3d vs CZ5, if you dig all mid & high tones with the CZ5, you have the same machine as the CZ3d basically because all they did was move certain targets from mid tone to high tone. The 3d isn't any deeper then the CZ5 or vise-versa. This is my take on the CZ3d after putting about 30 or so hours on it so far.

So far, I'm liking my 3d, but then agian whats not to like, its a Fisher, its a CZ5 with a little extra bonus. But, if someone were to ask me if I have found anything with the 3d that I wouldn't have found with the CZ5, CZ70, or Coinstrike, I would have to say NO! But then I don't get to hunt a lot of pre-1950 sites.

the only difference being that more will (or should) be high tones with the 3D in enhanced mode. So I guess I don't undersand what you mean about the 3D being noisier either. :shrug:

When you get in an area with lots of signals simply slow down so that you can me them out as distinct seperate hits, thats how you get the most out of a CZ.

Tom

which means that you will dig more junk, but hopefully recover more good targets as well. But the down side to that is that you can not discriminate out some of that junk, take zinc pennies for instance, one fellow, sold his CZ3d after using it for a month because he couldn't discriminate out zinc pennies. To me, its not that big a deal, but if I want to check a target to see if its zinc, I flip into salt and put discrim up to 6 or max and if its a zinc penny then it will knock it out.

But some of the areas that I hunt have a lot of modern day trash, which in enhanced mode will makes the signals seem to run together with the standard coil. I think I will try a 5" coil in some of those areas and see if that helps seperate them easier.

Sure will and if your running disc. on zero your actually hunting in all metal and all machines will....Personally many times I cherry pick with only coins all and have a quiet unit and got some of my deepest silver as I can concentrate better without all the noise...Many ways to use a CZ and disc. is up to the individual swinging same...

Is practice practice practice. Most importantly practice coil control. Low and slow with nice smooth even sweeps is the ticket for finding the good stuff whether at a new site or a site that has been pounded for years. Speeding up or slowing down the coil while sweeping is a BAD thing with the CZ (or any machine). Todd, when you are hunting in a lot of iron you will know when you have it right as the detector will smooth out with minimal iron falseing. Smooth and slow, it bears repeating.

Overlap at least 50% (even more in the nasty stuff) and be sure sure to check out faint hits mid tone hits from different directions (my apologies to NASA Tom but no machine is perfect) to see if you can get them to register up in tone on occasion. If you are getting a lot of faint spurious "hits" you may have the sensitivity to high or the volume too loud. You can chose to ignore them or adjust the sensitivity down a bit to eliminate them.

Don't worry about digging some iron at first. AS Dan has said many times, time and experience will eliminate the biggest share of those.

Have fun and good digs!

Tom

Mike,

If you haven't already, try lowering the sensitivity to 4 in those areas with lots of signals and make sure to go slow, ie: less than 2 feet per second when sweeping. It should help a lot!

HH Tom

Perhaps perusing the posts I am getting too critical or misreading them and your post said it all. Believe me when I had used a CZ for 2 months in 92 I was still lost(big time) and after using them for 13 years am still learning..Indeed CZ's are user friendly to set up but learning their language and good and bad attributes time in the field and reading the manual and Mikes CZ page is where its at lest a newbie or even a olbie to get confused as many ways to hunt a CZ and above all many different types of ground to hunt in which may have a bearing..Keep the good posts coming as we are all learning( newbie or oldbie)...

Yeah I know all I 'm finding is pulltabs,not finding nickles.The park I've been hunting in for the last twenty years is loaded with iron ore and pipeshop soil,which didn't affect my white's when I was using it,but my cz-5 sounds like a machine gun on low discrimanation and falses on small bits of iron in high discrim.I'm looking for suggestions on using the cz-5 in this park.

Todd,
Email me: rdcottrill at netzero.net

I can email you a Microsoft Word doc of posts pertaining to the 3D. Lots of quotes from Dankowski in them. I've been saving them for over a year.