Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bounty hunter III

potosi

My Dad just bought a BH III and is wondering if anyone can tell us anything about it ? I suppose a manual is not easy to find. Happy New Year.

By Bounty Hunter III, I assume you mean a Tracker III...here is a link to the manual for the BH - Tracker III...

Welcome to the group and Happy Hunting,

http://www.detecting.com/pdffiles/tiiiman.pdf

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BountyHunterMetalDetectors/files/BH%20Owner%27s%20Manuals/

Thanks bh-landstar but the machine he has is a BFO and has to have 8-AAA batteries. I had posted with the analog forum but they moved my post here. I will post a picture soon.

[size=medium]At the time I last show them in production, Bounty Hunter offered three (3) TR models, three (3) IB model (Induction Balance and are the same thing as the TR basically, but from an earlier vintage), the TR-1000-D which was a Discriminating TR, the Outlaw TR/BFO, and five (5) BFO models, The low-end Maverick, Bounty Hunter I, Bounty Hunter II, Bounty Hunter III and the Bounty Hunter Professional.

The Bounty Hunter III had a suggested retail price of $129.96 and was supplied with (I believe) a 6" coil. It had a large-size intensity meter, a Metal/Mineral tuner control, and a toggle for battery check.

The "Metal/Mineral" tuner is used to adjust for a "proper" motor-boating sound. This is done when the search coil is at the operating height.

You adjust it toward the "Metal" setting to locate coins, tokens, and gold and silver jewelry. There is no discrimination, as such, and the secret to peak performance is to maintain a uniform coil-to-ground relationship through the left-to-right sweep. You want to hear a somewhat comfortable motor-boating audio, and with a little practice you can determine what motor-boating speed (pitch) you need for best performance on targets and still an easily hearable beat-rate. What you listen for is an increase in the pitch (increased beat-rate) as the coil nears a metal target.

They lacked discrimination. They lacked the quick-response of a TR or IB design which makes it more difficult to discern subtle variances from a small and/or deeper target. If I recall, they required a battery pack using AA batteries. I don't mean this to sound too negative, but realistically and quite honestly, these older BFO types have very poor performance, lack the discrimination needed today for the abundance of modern-day, high-conductive trash, and have very, very little value.

While the one you have pictured appears to be in very good physical condition, most avid detectorists would be reluctant to pay more than $5 to $15, if that, for such a unit. I trust he got a good deal on it?!?

Monte [/size]

Be careful, A mate of mine borrowed an old Red Baron BH from his boss. We turned it on and it went into meltdown!!! Smoke flew out of it and it burned bad. Regards Nugget.:ausflag::)

Thanks Monte and Nugget! Dad paid $2.00 for it so he beat the range. He used a goldak in the 60's and 70's . He uses the minimally invasive method as shown in my vaquero manual and did so self taught.

Your Dad may be like mine! My Dad loved the old BFO's and although we bought more up to date machines he always preferred the old, no discrimination BFO. Now my dad didn't care for coin hunting, he preferred just old time relic hunting! He would prize all the old iron tools, old plows, barb wire, and old tractor parts, old stove parts, old wagon parts,etc. He would prize these old iron artifacts like they were GOLD! Now I will have to agree/disagree. For Coin Hunting, the old BFO is obsolete, but I believe that it is a lot more sensitve to old iron so for just old farm type relic hunting I still think that it is a good choice! Also with a 12 inch or larger coil, they are still good Cache and Bottle-Dump Hunters! It is fun to dig out and sift thru a old bottle dump many items not expected always show up such as old coins, old toys, jewelry, etc.........................................just 38 years of experience talking here.................HAPPY HOLIDAYS.......................................Joe

I hope that old machine will inspire you guys to upgrade to a newer BH in the near future,and let you find even more than you thought possible,untill then,.....HappyHunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ikandigit, Inspire? I have over 20 detectors why would I want to upgrade! In fact, I have upgraded but have reverted back to the the detectors of my youth, the BFO's and the VLF/TR's and a few of the early motion machines. One needs to use what one is comfortable with! And a Vintage Detectors in the hands of a Pro can still run circles around a novice with the best machine that money can buy!..............Nuff Said............Happy Holidays................Joe

Your correct Joe,as i Have a Whites 5900DiProSL that i think is still a formable machine,but i dont think one should be hesitant to change if the price is right,as this is the only way i will buy a newer Detector,due to the lack of funds.I think you should be proud of whatever BH you have new or old!!!!!..............HappyHunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!