Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bounty hunter Landstar

richbat

Can anyone tell me how the Landstar is? I know it's a Bounty Hunter and seems when anyone asks any questions on them all you here is there are far better machines out there but got it on a trade and it's been used maybe 2x by the previous owner.Might not be a top of the line MD but it's what i have for now,so any info. would be greatly appreciated on the pro's and con's of this machine.Thanks

Reviews in manny places ive seen say its pretty good has manual ground balance and target id system looks pretty good. Only one way to find out for shure hit a park.

I began with the Land Star when I started 11 years ago. It was a lot of fun making many good finds. You just have to practice to get used to it and it should do you well.

Well had it out yesterday and did manage to find a few clad coins but noticed trying to determine where the target was was alittle frustrating,seemed once i located where it should be and started to dig it ended up maybe 2 or 3 inches opposite where i thought.I tried "X"ing the target but at times it would not even register but it indicated that something was there,maybe i had the sensitivity to high and was just getting a false reading or some EMI from the school or powerlines.It's seems like a pretty decent machine guess it's just gonna take some time to get used to what it's telling me.

Pinpointing in disc does take practice. If a coin is shallow, it can detect on the edge of the coil, or maybe there's more than one target.

Have you tried pinpointing in All Metal? That usually works best for me. Try all metal mode and when you get centered up, raise the coil so the signal is a bit weaker, then hit Ground Trac, lower the coil and pinpoint again. That will "shrink" the detecting field to get an even better location of the object. This is described in the manual and works well.

Myself, I use a separate handheld pinpointer to do the actual locating of the target in the hole. But my wife does just fine with the 8-inch coil alone.

-Ed

Among the first things I try with a new detector is to toss a few sample targets on the ground and see how they read and pinpoint. You can shuffle a nail or pulltab nearby a quarter and judge the effects with various settings and you can test your "swing" while you're at it.

Detect your test spot first to make sure there's not some junk already there, which would skew your results. You can learn a lot in a hurry and have a better idea of what to expect when you locate something on a hunt.

-Ed

Ed or anyone.Did they discontinue the Landstar?And if so what replaced it?

The Land Star is still part of the lineup and shown on their website. BH dropped their former top models the Time Ranger and Land Ranger and I guess I don't see the Sharpshooter listed either. http://www.detecting.com/bounty-hunter-models.htm

-Ed

Figured i'd ask this question also before submersing the coil into water.Is the coil on the Landstar waterproof?

Yes the coil is waterproof. One thing to avoid is taking it straight from a hot car or if heated by the sun and dunking it into cold water, The abrupt temperature change might cause a slight vacuum inside the coil. If there is a flaw in the coil it could suck in water. As long as you avoid this extreme situation, you should be fine.

-Ed

I did that exact thing . I took it out of my hot truck and hit the lake . Later I was wondering why there was a sloshing sound inside it DUH !!! . It had a 5 year warranty and they sent me another one .

Well after reading this i'm just gonna stick with the land hunts.