Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Brand New to my brand New Tejon !?!

Odanscoils

Thanks
Do You have Both tiny coils ?
Which ones ? Make Model ???
Curious if the can hit Native Gold ?

Ran it on the wood floor.
My primary test for any machine on nails.
Had to run discrimination up past nickel.
To knock down the floor nails.
And still chirping.
I really Like working the nickel range.
Having to knock out nickels to Kill nails.
. Is Very Disappointing !!

The Mojave and Compadre wipes them out Just past iron.
Even tried em again. Perfect.
Reason for my obsession with them.

Did hit aluminum ducting a full foot above everything I own except the GT.
On Low sensitivity .

Been doing a Lot of reading.
Apparently Not enough yet.

Why does it go dead when I turn Sensitive down to the click ? Thought that may be auto.

I thought this machine could work most any ground. As Many stated.

The MXT does very well in Alaska at Ganes Creek.

Was hoping to do better there with this.

Any setting tips on Iron ?
Nails ??

I must have missed something.

Even tried the threshold tips.
Still chattering on the nails.
HELP ?!?
🤔😟

Last edited by a moderator:
Odanscoils, you have the Tejon and which coils? What coil was noisy over your wooden floor nails? What settings were you using?

I think you should keep the Comadre and sell or trade the Mojave to me.:rolleyes::laugh:

Monte

Odanscoils, you have the Tejon and which coils? What coil was noisy over your wooden floor nails? What settings were you using?

I think you should keep the Comadre and sell or trade the Mojave to me.:rolleyes::laugh:

Monte
Thanks Monte
NOPA
You'll have to pry the Mojave from my hardened cold hands. Need to find a backup one !!!
Gosh why didn't I try these years before.
Best in nails than anything I own.
Possibly better than my Sovereign GT.
That is I think until I put the lil 5" round or 3.5x6.5 coil on the GT.
I believe the Tejon coil is the 6x9.
This one.
Sensitivity at minimum
Ran GB from end to end
Worked threshold end to end while slowly working the GB.
Tried it in both detection modes.
In nails runs Nothing like the Compadre and especially the Mojave.
Clueless am I.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_002929_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220121_002929_hdr.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 193
Thanks Monte
NOPA
You'll have to pry the Mojave from my hardened cold hands. Need to find a backup one !!!
Gosh why didn't I try these years before.
Best in nails than anything I own.
Possibly better than my Sovereign GT.
That is I think until I put the lil 5" round or 3.5x6.5 coil on the GT.
I believe the Tejon coil is the 6x9.
This one.
Sensitivity at minimum
Ran GB from end to end
Worked threshold end to end while slowly working the GB.
Tried it in both detection modes.
In nails runs Nothing like the Compadre and especially the Mojave.
Clueless am I.
Monte
This coil

Did you ever get my Tejon Tips and Tricks pdf file off the web?

Download from here

It has a language of its own and needs to be set up correctly. Not that great in bad ground. It's been a popular detector for relic hunting.

Did you ever get my Tejon Tips and Tricks pdf file off the web?

Download from here

It has a language of its own and needs to be set up correctly. Not that great in bad ground. It's been a popular detector for relic hunting.
You mean I can't GB out hot ground ?
I was led to believe it would do well in the S.W.

I detect in extremely hot places. I use a Euro Saber treasure and although they are different frequencies you can try this. If you use it in all metal mode, I don't think you'll have a problem detecting, it's very deep. But if you want to use Discrimination do the following: Once you have it well balanced on all metals, switch the selector to Discrimination and pump hard down, gradually raising the Ground Balance, until you start to hear a blip. If when you sweep the coil is "too hot" reduce the ground balance a bit. By trying it, you lose nothing. That's what I do and it works fine

You mean I can't GB out hot ground ?
I was led to believe it would do well in the S.W.
I re-read posts in this thread and have a few comments:

* Not all of the SW is highly mineralized.

* When I had my Tejon's, 90% of where I hunted was highly mineralized and had a high Iron content.

* Unless doing coil comparisons, I kept a Concentric coil mounted and never had a problem GBing.

* Most Tesoro models were designed with the Disc. mode GB reference with a somewhat positive off-set from the All Metal models GB setting. For peak performance in the discriminate mode, I like to Power Balance to have a most efficient GB setting in Discrimination. You always want the best GB for the search mode you are using. And that me a ns not too positive or too negative. If 'off' too much in either direction, you can experience falling.

* As a rule, I like to either just reject Iron Nails or have a setting low enough to 'just barely' hear iron nails or any more-conductive Ferrous targets. Keep in mind that the higher the Disc. setting, the more desirable targets are to be rejected. Therefore, I favor a low Discrimination setting.

I mentioned this because earlier you made a comment about testing detectors in your house and using the Iron Nails in the floor. This can lead to a too high Disc. level depending on what detector model is used. The iron nails in the flooring Are mostly going to be driven in so that they are vertical. In such an orientation to the search coil, swept horizontally, they will usually have a uniform EMF shape and be more easily rejected (Discriminated). Typically, the VDI read-out will be a lower number and vary only slightly on repeated sweeps.

If the same Nail is in a horizontal position and swept from different approach angles, it will usually produce higher VDI numbers that can be spread over a broader range. Thus, if a detector just barely rejects a vertically positioned Iron Nail, it is likely to produce sputtering signals to a very good 'Beep' that would call for an increase in the Disc. setting to cleanly reject them.

The result? If a horizontal Nail is barely rejected, the detector / coil combo has a good chance to unmask a nearby keeper. However, if the Disc. is set to just reject that horizontal Nail, good. But if a Nail is close to a good target but positioned vertically, that higher Disc. setting might not be able to recover from the stronger rejection to unmask a good target. Thus, use the least Discrimination you can tolerate to get the best performance in a site with a lot of ferrous debris.

* From my personal experience as well as watching others do some coil comparisons, I have determined most Tesoro models work better with a Concentric coil than they do a Double-D. The Tejon's I had or watched others use, definitely favored Concentric coils to provide the best performance.

>> Unless someone opened the Tejon and messed around with any trimmers, it should be working well. Just read through the Owner Manual again and make sure you are familiar with it and all available settings.

Monte

I detect in extremely hot places. I use a Euro Saber treasure and although they are different frequencies you can try this. If you use it in all metal mode, I don't think you'll have a problem detecting, it's very deep. But if you want to use Discrimination do the following: Once you have it well balanced on all metals, switch the selector to Discrimination and pump hard down, gradually raising the Ground Balance, until you start to hear a blip. If when you sweep the coil is "too hot" reduce the ground balance a bit. By trying it, you lose nothing. That's what I do and it works fine
The blip.
Is that on rise or lowering the coil.
All the years I've detected. 40+
I've never really understood + - ground balance.

* When I had my Tejon's, 90% of where I hunted was highly mineralized and had a high Iron content.

* Unless doing coil comparisons, I kept a Concentric coil mounted and never had a problem GBing.

* Most Tesoro models were designed with the Disc. mode GB reference with a somewhat positive off-set from the All Metal models GB setting. For peak performance in the discriminate mode, I like to Power Balance to have a most efficient GB setting in Discrimination. You always want the best GB for the search mode you are using. And that me a ns not too positive or too negative. If 'off' too much in either direction, you can experience falling.

* As a rule, I like to either just reject Iron Nails or have a setting low enough to 'just barely' hear iron nails or any more-conductive Ferrous targets. Keep in mind that the higher the Disc. setting, the more desirable targets are to be rejected. Therefore, I favor a low Discrimination setting.

I mentioned this because earlier you made a comment about testing detectors in your house and using the Iron Nails in the floor. This can lead to a too high Disc. level depending on what detector model is used. The iron nails in the flooring Are mostly going to be driven in so that they are vertical. In such an orientation to the search coil, swept horizontally, they will usually have a uniform EMF shape and be more easily rejected (Discriminated). Typically, the VDI read-out will be a lower number and vary only slightly on repeated sweeps.

If the same Nail is in a horizontal position and swept from different approach angles, it will usually produce higher VDI numbers that can be spread over a broader range. Thus, if a detector just barely rejects a vertically positioned Iron Nail, it is likely to produce sputtering signals to a very good 'Beep' that would call for an increase in the Disc. setting to cleanly reject them.

The result? If a horizontal Nail is barely rejected, the detector / coil combo has a good chance to unmask a nearby keeper. However, if the Disc. is set to just reject that horizontal Nail, good. But if a Nail is close to a good target but positioned vertically, that higher Disc. setting might not be able to recover from the stronger rejection to unmask a good target. Thus, use the least Discrimination you can tolerate to get the best performance in a site with a lot of ferrous debris.

* From my personal experience as well as watching others do some coil comparisons, I have determined most Tesoro models work better with a Concentric coil than they do a Double-D. The Tejon's I had or watched others use, definitely favored Concentric coils to provide the best performance.

>> Unless someone opened the Tejon and messed around with any trimmers, it should be working well. Just read through the Owner Manual again and make sure you are familiar with it and all available settings.

Monte
I do believe the coil image I posted.
The coil that came with my Tejon is a DD.
The Nel could I've seen available are also DD.
The 5" round and 3.5×6.5 DD.
Love to find the Concentric 5.75".

In the first part the detector is slightly negative. I am balancing and moving the pot to the right (+) until it is slightly positive. I move the selector to discriminate mode. I place the coin under the highly mineralized soil and we see that it does not detect it.
I remove the coin, rock down hard, but in discrimination mode, adjusting the pot towards the (+) sign at the same time, until I hear a slight "blip". Then I back up a bit, until I can barely hear it.
I put the coin back and we see that this time, if it detects it.
I don't know how it will be in the badger, but for trying it that it doesn't remain...

The blip.
Is that on rise or lowering the coil.
All the years I've detected. 40+
I've never really understood + - ground balance.
You already have it. If you don't understand something, please ask me.
You already know that I use a translator and sometimes I am not well understood.

In the first part the detector is slightly negative. I am balancing and moving the pot to the right (+) until it is slightly positive. I move the selector to discriminate mode. I place the coin under the highly mineralized soil and we see that it does not detect it.
I remove the coin, rock down hard, but in discrimination mode, adjusting the pot towards the (+) sign at the same time, until I hear a slight "blip". Then I back up a bit, until I can barely hear it.
I put the coin back and we see that this time, if it detects it.
I don't know how it will be in the badger, but for trying it that it doesn't remain...

Thank You Draco
Translators are frustrating.
I believe I understand now.
Still reading through the tips information.
Can't really practice outside or in the farm Field I live in the middle of. Way to much snow.
I have been detecting since 74. Not new to GB ing.
This is my first Tesoro with GB function.
Definitely different from my other machines.
Thanks for the help.
I'll get it eventually.

I couldn't do the test outside the house either, it rains a lot. But I wanted you to at least have an idea. In ground with low mineralization, it is enough to adjust it slightly positive. But when the ground is "hard" with minerals, it is better to take it quite positive, but without all the strange ones. My way of hunting though, is always all metal with a slight background hum.

Monte
Thank You Monte
Great information.

The Tejon I have is brand new old stock.
Bought it just a few weeks ago.
Like you I have been detecting many year's. 40+
Though I am new to Tesoros.
And the Tejon is my first Tesoro with adjustable Ground Balance.
Definitely different from my other machines.
The threshold definitely doesn't work like on my other machines.
Appears I will have to relearn my techniques.
Curious.
Somehow I purchased two 7" widescan coils for my Mojave.
The DD coil picture I posted in this thread is the only coil I have that came with the Tejon.
Would you be interested in trading a Delta concentric coil that fits the Tejon for a brand new never touched the ground Epsilon 7" Widescan coil.
Here also are All the coils I have for the Mojave.
That little 5.75 concentric coil upper rt is Hot on tiny targets. It's also Fantastic for showing mineralized rocks I scan for native Gold.
NoN of my other machines can do this.

Attachments

• IMG_20220213_104604_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220213_104604_hdr.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20220213_105919_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220213_105919_hdr.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I couldn't do the test outside the house either, it rains a lot. But I wanted you to at least have an idea. In ground with low mineralization, it is enough to adjust it slightly positive. But when the ground is "hard" with minerals, it is better to take it quite positive, but without all the strange ones. My way of hunting though, is always all metal with a slight background hum.
I'm definitely going to have to learn GB in all metal.
Anxious to learn the VCO on the Tejon.
The threshold is definitely throwing a curve ball at me.
On all my other machine's the threshold knob varies the volume of the threshold.
On the Tejon it seems to have more of a function on the Recovery of Targets. Frustrating.

The correct way to ground balance is on VCO. The other thing that I told you and that I show in the video is for extreme cases. The badger has some knobs to adjust the audio tone (low/high) and the other knob is to adjust the volume of the background tone. You have to leave a slight buzz, to be able to hear the subtle changes, both in the terrain, and the possible metals. Positive hot rocks will give a "stretched" backtone rise. Negative rocks will cause a "long" backtone drop. "Round" signals are usually coins. Double wee, wee, usually elongated nails... VCO is definitely my favorite mode. It's so easy, when you pay a little attention

With double D coil, it may vary a little.

The correct way to ground balance is on VCO. The other thing that I told you and that I show in the video is for extreme cases. The badger has some knobs to adjust the audio tone (low/high) and the other knob is to adjust the volume of the background tone. You have to leave a slight buzz, to be able to hear the subtle changes, both in the terrain, and the possible metals. Positive hot rocks will give a "stretched" backtone rise. Negative rocks will cause a "long" backtone drop. "Round" signals are usually coins. Double wee, wee, usually elongated nails... VCO is definitely my favorite mode. It's so easy, when you pay a little attention

With double D coil, it may vary a little.
Thanks Draco
More good info.
Now I need a good small and large concentric coils
Hopefully my damaged hearing will allow me to hear those subtle sounds.
Especially in VCO mode.
Took a lot of time and fiddling with the settings to get the tones on my Explorer to where I could hear the different tones.