Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Brand New to my brand New Tejon !?!

Took it in the front yard for a few minutes today.
Ground Balanced it.
Much smoother. The VCO will take some getting used to though.
I re-read posts in this thread and have a few comments:

* Not all of the SW is highly mineralized.

* When I had my Tejon's, 90% of where I hunted was highly mineralized and had a high Iron content.

* Unless doing coil comparisons, I kept a Concentric coil mounted and never had a problem GBing.

* Most Tesoro models were designed with the Disc. mode GB reference with a somewhat positive off-set from the All Metal models GB setting. For peak performance in the discriminate mode, I like to Power Balance to have a most efficient GB setting in Discrimination. You always want the best GB for the search mode you are using. And that me a ns not too positive or too negative. If 'off' too much in either direction, you can experience falling.

* As a rule, I like to either just reject Iron Nails or have a setting low enough to 'just barely' hear iron nails or any more-conductive Ferrous targets. Keep in mind that the higher the Disc. setting, the more desirable targets are to be rejected. Therefore, I favor a low Discrimination setting.

I mentioned this because earlier you made a comment about testing detectors in your house and using the Iron Nails in the floor. This can lead to a too high Disc. level depending on what detector model is used. The iron nails in the flooring Are mostly going to be driven in so that they are vertical. In such an orientation to the search coil, swept horizontally, they will usually have a uniform EMF shape and be more easily rejected (Discriminated). Typically, the VDI read-out will be a lower number and vary only slightly on repeated sweeps.

If the same Nail is in a horizontal position and swept from different approach angles, it will usually produce higher VDI numbers that can be spread over a broader range. Thus, if a detector just barely rejects a vertically positioned Iron Nail, it is likely to produce sputtering signals to a very good 'Beep' that would call for an increase in the Disc. setting to cleanly reject them.

The result? If a horizontal Nail is barely rejected, the detector / coil combo has a good chance to unmask a nearby keeper. However, if the Disc. is set to just reject that horizontal Nail, good. But if a Nail is close to a good target but positioned vertically, that higher Disc. setting might not be able to recover from the stronger rejection to unmask a good target. Thus, use the least Discrimination you can tolerate to get the best performance in a site with a lot of ferrous debris.

* From my personal experience as well as watching others do some coil comparisons, I have determined most Tesoro models work better with a Concentric coil than they do a Double-D. The Tejon's I had or watched others use, definitely favored Concentric coils to provide the best performance.

>> Unless someone opened the Tejon and messed around with any trimmers, it should be working well. Just read through the Owner Manual again and make sure you are familiar with it and all available settings.

Monte

Monte I understand you said the coil that came with the machine is tuned to the machine.
So I'm wondering.
It came stock with the DD coil.
Would that mean it may perform less with a concentric coil ?
Would a smaller say 5" round DD work better than a concentric coil. Being the machine is tuned to a DD ?
Here's the coil it came with.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_002929_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220121_002929_hdr.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 174
Monte I understand you said the coil that came with the machine is tuned to the machine.
So I'm wondering.
He said the Silver Sabre was "tuned" to the coil. It has no ground balance adjustments on the face cover. Your Tejon has a ground balance adjustment on the face cover and so it can be "tuned" to the coil with this adjustment. Monte tuned his Silver Saber by turning an adjustment pot inside the control unit. Many people in the forums bought Tesoro units without ground balance adjustment and switched coils without having them tuned and were still satisfied with the results. My Compadre has been modified to accept different coils. I have used the 6 inch concentric, 8 inch concentric and the cleansweep coil on it and have had no problems. Granted, If I wanted to get the last ¼ inch of depth or if it wasn't picking up large silver, it might help to go inside the housing and adjust the ground balance. In general, it is close enough for me the way it is.

He said the Silver Sabre was "tuned" to the coil. It has no ground balance adjustments on the face cover. Your Tejon has a ground balance adjustment on the face cover and so it can be "tuned" to the coil with this adjustment. Monte tuned his Silver Saber by turning an adjustment pot inside the control unit. Many people in the forums bought Tesoro units without ground balance adjustment and switched coils without having them tuned and were still satisfied with the results. My Compadre has been modified to accept different coils. I have used the 6 inch concentric, 8 inch concentric and the cleansweep coil on it and have had no problems. Granted, If I wanted to get the last ¼ inch of depth or if it wasn't picking up large silver, it might help to go inside the housing and adjust the ground balance. In general, it is close enough for me the way it is.
So I took it to work with me today.
Made a short video I can't seem to upload.
Anyway
I work around high voltage power lines and substations.
Today I ran the Tejon under 5kv and 33kv power lines. 30 ft overhead going into the sub.
Surprised me.
Smooth as silk.
Only other machine I own that runs like that is the Mojave.
Video I made showed it hitting targets directly in front of gate.
In storms and fowl weather.
We're fumbling with keys with gloves on usually.
Guys drop everything there.
Only it's gravel that heavy trucks drive over.
Never found a nice condition coin yet.
Silver. Oh Yeah.
And now I have a deeper machine I can run in the substations.
Awesome.
Now I just need a Small coil to sort through the trash.

Thanks
Do You have Both tiny coils ?
Which ones ? Make Model ???
Curious if the can hit Native Gold ?
Love this company

Received it this morning.
Roughly 24 hrs
Yes im one state away
But in today's world.
IMPRESSIVE !!!

Not Impressed with it.

Then I don't know it.

Yet !!!

Ran it on the wood floor.
My primary test for any machine on nails.
Had to run discrimination up past nickel.
To knock down the floor nails.
And still chirping.
I really Like working the nickel range.
Having to knock out nickels to Kill nails.
. Is Very Disappointing !!

The Mojave and Compadre wipes them out Just past iron.
Even tried em again. Perfect.
Reason for my obsession with them.

Did hit aluminum ducting a full foot above everything I own except the GT.
On Low sensitivity .

Been doing a Lot of reading.
Apparently Not enough yet.

Why does it go dead when I turn Sensitive down to the click ? Thought that may be auto.

I thought this machine could work most any ground. As Many stated.

The MXT does very well in Alaska at Ganes Creek.

Was hopping to do better there with this.

Any setting tips on Iron ?
Nails ??

I must have missed something.

Even tried the threshold tips.
Still chattering on the nails.
HELP ?!?
🤔😟
I bought one but returned it. Then I bought the more stable Vaquero. Just as deep though

If you can't find a small Tesoro coil, I have used the Nel Snake on the Teknetics Omegas and T2, and the Fisher Gold Bug with much success and the Nel Sharp on the Impact and have been impressed also. Either one of these would be my choice of a small coil if I did not already have the hard to find 5.75" concentric from Tesoro.

If you can't find a small Tesoro coil, I have used the Nel Snake on the Teknetics Omegas and T2, and the Fisher Gold Bug with much success and the Nel Sharp on the Impact and have been impressed also. Either one of these would be my choice of a small coil if I did not already have the hard to find 5.75" concentric from Tesoro.
How deep did you get with the Sharp .
Thinking of putting one on my Sovereign for Alaska.
Do you think the 5" round would do better ?

So I took it to work with me today.
Made a short video I can't seem to upload.
Anyway
I work around high voltage power lines and substations.
Today I ran the Tejon under 5kv and 33kv power lines. 30 ft overhead going into the sub.
Surprised me.
Smooth as silk.
Only other machine I own that runs like that is the Mojave.
Video I made showed it hitting targets directly in front of gate.
You have to upload the video to YouTube and then put the video link here.

I don't know if I understood you. But you have to create an account on Youtube, and then upload the video you recorded. Follow the instructions that they indicate and when you have it uploaded, copy the link and publish it

How deep did you get with the Sharp .
Thinking of putting one on my Sovereign for Alaska.
Do you think the 5" round would do better ?
The depth between the two is about equal and depends on the amount of iron in your soil. I like the Snake better, It covers a little more ground per sweep and the toe and heel of the coil is "sharper", that is, it can wiggle between bad targets better. It is the absolute favorite coil on my Gold Bug.

The depth between the two is about equal and depends on the amount of iron in your soil. I like the Snake better, It covers a little more ground per sweep and the toe and heel of the coil is "sharper", that is, it can wiggle between bad targets better. It is the absolute favorite coil on my Gold Bug.
Thank You.
Hopefully the Sovereign likes gold country.
The MXT does pretty good up there in most locations.

So last couple days I've finally gotten out.
About an hour or so.
After almost two yrs in bed.
Still very weak.
I've just been given permission to dig an 1830's homestead.
Lived in upto 2020.
Sadly it was bulldozed before I got to it.
Trash everywhere. Rolled with sticky clay with brush, tree's and roots sticking up everywhere.
House,garage and the usual metals in both rolled into the clay as well.
Very tough just walking let alone swinging a coil.

First day after work.

Tried the Nel Snake coil first on the Tejon.
First disc set to just hit a nickel.
Second disc set to hit Only copper and silver.
Found a loud,clear and kinda smooth sounding silver barber dime about 6-7" down.. Sadly I lost it digging another target. Really liking this Snake coil.
I wasn't prepared. Didn't have my bag or goodies box. I was going to poke around and get a feel for the location. But after hitting that little silver.
Well the adrenaline kicked in.
First I tried working around where the house was.
Hoping to find some more coins amongst the usual nails. Nope. Nadda. Just trash.
So I tried looking for the kids pocket drops in what I suspected was the play area. Couple modern quarters, 1976 quarter, memorial Penny and a stinkin Lincoln. Still I'm Not finding the expected coppers and most certainly not the silvers.
Kept poking around and decided to try near the road under the 13 thousand volt power lines.
I had changed back to the factory coil on the Tejon. 6×9 DD I think is the size. I believe I posted a pic in this thread.
Anyway moving along getting crushed cans.
Lifting the coil still hitting em a foot or more off the ground. Yup cans.
Then I hit this loud quick target. Though it had a mellowness to it. Kinda smooth. Not like anything I've heard so far. Remember I'm a complete nuby to the Tejon.
All I had was my little hand mattox. Boy was that sticky Clay a major pain digging with that.
Digging an digging I couldn't quite locate it.
Finally I just decided to go for it and dig a deep hole and wide. About 10" down. Rolled the clay ball over. Grabbed my carrot and dug what looked like a half dollar.
The clay was like glue. And didn't wanna rub it hard. Wiped the edge and saw that sweet green.
Oh man did I just dig a large Cent. Oh yeah I sure did. Around here that's a special kinda find.
My First. Yea !!!

OK now I'm onna roll.
Working back away from the road towards the kids spot. I get another sharper though large signal.
I wasn't gonna dig it. Though it just had that sound dig me. Certain it was trash.
Again had to dig a Wide deep hole.
Rolled out this big mass of soupy clay.
Carrot kept saying it's here. Though just not seeing anything but twigs,brush and iron trash rolled into the clay by the dozer.
As I'm pushing it back into the hole out pops the handle of this spoon. A solid copper silver plated Milford Silver Co spoon. Sweet. Never dug one of those either. My first in sooo many years.

Today after work all excited and happy to give it another go.
Again with the Tejon and Sniper coil.
Try going slower picking around the stubbles near the house. Nothing. Just big trash.
Put on the stock coil. Started gridding the rest of the front and side yard. Nothing but cans, irons sweetie sounding junk. And those dam chunks of copper pipe pieces. This time I brought my nice diggn shovel. Still digging in that clay with everything rolled in, bricks and all the trash was a nightmare. Started digging the loud big targets hoping to get lucky. Aluminum showerhead and ground up aluminum engine parts. After twenty or so of those I'm beat. Just getting my strength back this is kicking my but.
So tomorrow I'm gonna try my Sovereign GT with the Snake coil on it first. And try working slower amongst the iron. Then I'll try the 13" Ultimate coil and maybe the Tejon again out in the scraped bare field. All clay with streaks of clay slime and trash here an there.
From experience I believe this site was hit hard back in the seventies or 80's.
Most machines even today won't operate well under the power lines. Why the Tejon found that crusty large Cent. Love how smooth it is under power lines.
Fertilizer really ate up that large Cent.
Wish me luck tomorrow.
Any tips on running the Tejon at a site like this ?

Attachments

• 10839.jpeg
    10839.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 10838.jpeg
    10838.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 10837.jpeg
    10837.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20220429_205614.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205614.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20220429_205543.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205543.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20220429_204650.jpg
    IMG_20220429_204650.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I put this info guide for the Tejon together years ago. Might just help you out..................

Attachments

• Tesoro Tejon Tips II.pdf
    230.3 KB · Views: 385
I put this info guide for the Tejon together years ago. Might just help you out..................
I believe I have that parts 1,,2 and 3 .
I believe that's it.
I'm trying to get an idea of the difference in sizing flat cans and big silver an large Cent.
(Love to find another in much better shape.)
As in how high will a coin sound lifting coil off the ground compared to the cans.
So many coin sounding targets getting 8-14" above the ground.

Awesome Sven
Now that I've been able to go it.
An impressive bunch of information.
I will read it many times this summer.
Sadly I'm down again. Took a fall at work
Tore both shoulders. Multiple complete tears
Doc says 8 weeks to a year.
So much to do this summer.
Major Bummer

I re-read posts in this thread and have a few comments:

* Not all of the SW is highly mineralized.

* When I had my Tejon's, 90% of where I hunted was highly mineralized and had a high Iron content.

* Unless doing coil comparisons, I kept a Concentric coil mounted and never had a problem GBing.

* Most Tesoro models were designed with the Disc. mode GB reference with a somewhat positive off-set from the All Metal models GB setting. For peak performance in the discriminate mode, I like to Power Balance to have a most efficient GB setting in Discrimination. You always want the best GB for the search mode you are using. And that me a ns not too positive or too negative. If 'off' too much in either direction, you can experience falling.

* As a rule, I like to either just reject Iron Nails or have a setting low enough to 'just barely' hear iron nails or any more-conductive Ferrous targets. Keep in mind that the higher the Disc. setting, the more desirable targets are to be rejected. Therefore, I favor a low Discrimination setting.

I mentioned this because earlier you made a comment about testing detectors in your house and using the Iron Nails in the floor. This can lead to a too high Disc. level depending on what detector model is used. The iron nails in the flooring Are mostly going to be driven in so that they are vertical. In such an orientation to the search coil, swept horizontally, they will usually have a uniform EMF shape and be more easily rejected (Discriminated). Typically, the VDI read-out will be a lower number and vary only slightly on repeated sweeps.

If the same Nail is in a horizontal position and swept from different approach angles, it will usually produce higher VDI numbers that can be spread over a broader range. Thus, if a detector just barely rejects a vertically positioned Iron Nail, it is likely to produce sputtering signals to a very good 'Beep' that would call for an increase in the Disc. setting to cleanly reject them.

The result? If a horizontal Nail is barely rejected, the detector / coil combo has a good chance to unmask a nearby keeper. However, if the Disc. is set to just reject that horizontal Nail, good. But if a Nail is close to a good target but positioned vertically, that higher Disc. setting might not be able to recover from the stronger rejection to unmask a good target. Thus, use the least Discrimination you can tolerate to get the best performance in a site with a lot of ferrous debris.

* From my personal experience as well as watching others do some coil comparisons, I have determined most Tesoro models work better with a Concentric coil than they do a Double-D. The Tejon's I had or watched others use, definitely favored Concentric coils to provide the best performance.

>> Unless someone opened the Tejon and messed around with any trimmers, it should be working well. Just read through the Owner Manual again and make sure you are familiar with it and all available settings.

Monte
Monte.
My new Tejon came from the factory with the DD coil I showed in this thread. Can I assume it is to function better with DD coils ?
Or will concentric coils be better ?