Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Brass button with US with no periods.

Grunter

I found a large US brass button that has no period after the U or the S. It has no back on it but a tab that looks as though it hooked onto something. Any ideas about it. I found it near what was a field hospital near a civil war battle site.

No picket wire that's not my button. Mine is rounded on the edge and has what appears to be a wedge shaped grommet on one side the other appears to be broken off. It is approx. the size of a half dollar.

Finally able to get my pictures transferred from my phone to my laptop. Hopefully these will help I.D

Attachments

• 20220606_130838.jpg
    20220606_130838.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220606_130851.jpg
    20220606_130851.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 132
I found a large US brass button that has no period after the U or the S. It has no back on it but a tab that looks as though it hooked onto something. Any ideas about it. I found it near what was a field hospital near a civil war battle site.

Yes circa Indian Wars, and its not a rosette, this piece attached to the blinder on the bridal.

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 116
So is that a US calvary item? Also were they made available for civilians?
The following link says that the army started selling surplus supplies including horse tack shortly after the Civil War. It is an interesting article.

I have found one of these at a turn of the 20th century house site in East Texas. I did not realize "Army surplus" was around that early. Very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.