Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

brass or copper plumb-bob, mortar shell, ???

bhershey

Found in the side yard of a 1790 farm house in Lampeter, PA, USA.
It's filled with lead and two wires run through it and used to come out of the top... there is some kind of worn off tip at the pointed end.. could it be an old plumb-bob? The lead looks to be in layers inside... the teenager I was walking with thought it was a mortar shell... any ideas?

Thank you!
Brian

Best guess... here's what it looks like, a brass finial:

fire_accessories_06_large.jpg

The one in the pic is from a wood stove and is plated iron, but many different styles of these ornamental fixures are found on everything from curtain rods, lamps, brass beds to roof tops.

The layers of lead would seem to indicate that it was not original, put poured in later by someone a bit at a time... for what purpose, with the wire run through it like that, gosh who could say but the person who did it :shrug:

Odd find. Thanks for posting!

...any of the old lightning rod cable that I've seen was round braided copper, but I betcha that's what it was. Strange things indeed! :)