Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

British Red Coat button Dug in Mississippi..

zaxfire69

Guys I am so excited to tell you about the recent find I made with my ATPRO..I have this one specific site I have named "Button Hill." I have dug a ton of early 1800's flat buttons from this small site. It overlooks a creek. Well I went detecting yesterday and discovered that it had been bulldozed..Top layer taken off. Well I started to detect first hit was another Flat button. Then soon after is when I dug the find of the day. 1 inch underground I found what I thought was a 2 piece button. I looked it over and couldn't make heads or tales with all the mud on it. I layed it aside and kept detecting. Well after about 9 more flat buttons and an old fashioned Iron I decided to call it a day. Well went home and let the buttons dry. I then took a dry toothbrush to them. Well the doomed button had a Crown with the Script letter GR under the crown. Did the research and discovered that this button belonged to a British Red Coat. Guys I live in Natchez, Mississippi. The British ruled over Natchez in the middle to late 1700's. The Spanish Gov. Galvez seized control of Natchez in 1779..The British had Natchez for only 18 years then Spain came in and booted them all out. I have read and read and I keep getting the same Time period. Around 1779-1783 give or take a few years. I've had a few guys tell me that these buttons were used in the War of 1812..So in my area this is a Great Historical find. I have no idea what something like this would be valued at, but I know in my collection I will treat this one like gold. I hope you guys like the pictures and I will say it again..The ATPro is making a name for itself. Think I might email Garrett with this find...:thumbup:

0fd01ca1.jpg

c61edb77.jpg

f33ac8e4.jpg

e7a0a2a3.jpg

2e1b35ae.jpg

Great find. I think you should write Garrett about it. You may get a mention in their newsletter.

Very nice score bud. Send that pic into Vaughan Garrett and win the "Find Of The Month" prize - a new Pro-Pointer. Keep hitting that area. It may have brothers and sisters laying around there.

Bill

Thanks guys. I am still in shock. This to me is a piece of not only Mississippi History, but American History. This button was dropped by a British soldier possibly 200+ years ago. I'm still trying to research and figure out exactly how old it is. I know the British had Control of Natchez, Ms for only 18 years. Then Spain seized control in 1779. So I originally thought that this button was 1830ish, but after researching I believe it is way older. Hopefully soon I will get a positive date Id. I did find this picture of the Red Coats uniforms through the years. Notice the Private's 1750 uniform. Especially the hat. Same symbol.. Crown over Script GR.. I hope it was off of that uniform.
239dae8e.jpg

when your heart slows down a little, take another look at that button & kick the heart rate up again!

That is fantastic-thanks for the post and hope you find more there.

Hats with Crown over script GR
The Yankee Doodle Tap Room in Princeton. NJ has quite a few of those hats in black functioning now as lampshades - go to the attached webside view the photos of the tap room (you gotta be quick). In the photo of the bar, to the left and right of the Norman Rockwell Painting (Yanke Doodle) are the British hats with insignia. They have them on their chandeliers too. Definitely Revolutionary War period.

http://www.nassauinn.com/princeton-restaurants/