Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Broke Etrac

RLOH

Last winter I started looking for what I consider the best coin detector I have ever used, the Etrac. I finally found a low use, mint condition Etrac from one of the forum sponsors. I could not wait for spring and I was not disappointed. I immediately started finding silver and wheat pennies from my "hunted out spots" and was in was in hog heaven again.

About a month ago, the Etrac gave a "high voltage" warning when I started it up. I got it running with the alkaline pack and for a couple of hunts, no problems. Towards the end of May, I used the Etrac on three hunts and found absolutely nothing. This is strange for me and after the third hunt of zilch, I checked it in my test garden and it struggled to hit any of my targets. I immediately called Minelab service in Pa. and they told me to send it in, which I did.

They have had it two weeks and I have not heard a peep from them. I had asked to call me, before doing any repairs. I have never sent any detector in when it was not covered by warranty and this current situation has me a bit financially afraid. I have heard that Minelab has a limited amount of parts and when they are gone, the broken Minelab is all but worthless. I have fussed over this repair for the last two and a half weeks trying to figure out what my limit would be for any extreme repair. Since I have not heard anything from the repair center, my anxiety level is pretty high.

Has anyone sent an Etrac in for repair and if so, what was the cost to fix? Part of me says , if they can make it "like new", bite the bullet and fix it. I have had many FBS detectors and none have ever broke and I have never used the warranty on any of them. If they can fix my Etrac correctly, in theory, it should out last me as I am in my late 60's.

Strickly from an anecdotal viewpoint , you probably screwed up. I had a similar experience with Whites a few years back when I never heard from them until I received an invoice for close to $75 more than the detector would be worth at the top resale price. I suspect Minelab to be the same which is why I will never send them a machine which is not on warranty. I had a friend that experienced much of what you are dealing with on a relatively new machine that was still on warranty; voltage overload on an etrac. Turned out it was the motherboard replacement cost was $238 less shipping , 10 years ago . YMMV Keep us posted

Don't have a contact phone? Call them and ask ;)
I did and they will call me with an estimate. They have had the Etrac for over two weeks. I suppose they work on warranty issues before anything else. Anxiously waiting. I know it will not be cheap.

Supply chain and labor issues are effecting them like everybody else, I would wager.

For my biz, what used to take a week now takes 3. Supplies getting hard to find.