Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bronze Gaming Counter

Youngted

I found this counter with the CIBOLA some time ago.Any one out there have any idea how it was used(Roman) there are no numbers on its ends.
weight 17.9 gram 22mm long 14mm wide 8mm deep.

Brian,that certainly is a nice find for sure,almost certain a gaming item but still scratching my head how you would play with it with 2 numbers missing ?? prehaps the other numbers could have been on a similar item and thrown from say the hand or from a container.Could understand if it had the other 2 numbers on the item but this one is a bit of a mystery.

I have since found this info on the net. It would seem that I have a TALUS and four would be in use.
Pausanias stated that ancient Greeks played dice since the Trojan War. Tessera had numbers on each side from 1 to 6. In Roman times and later, values placed on opposite sides add up to seven. Talus had only four numbered sides: 1, 3, 4, 6. The best throw was venus: all four tali fall to expose different numbers; the worse throw was canis when all exposed numbers are the same.

Very cool. Awesome piece of history!!