Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bryce-IL Can you tell me which coil you like best for every day use?

Orlensin-FL

I am starting to venture out away from beaches and would like to hunt some schools and or parks.
I use the Minelab SE and although I don't post a whole lot; I love to be a lurker and read about the finds some of you other explorer users make.
I find your posts very well written and a pleasure to read. I have also learned a lot from them.
If you don't mind; could you please tell me which coil you find works best for you on the deeper more challenging coins.
I realize our soil is probably different but I also travel quite often so any and all info would be appreciated.
Also your likes; dislikes...etc.
I sent you a PM but your inbox seems to be full.
Thank you for your time

10 x 12 SEF coil.

At first I was not used to the way the SEF coil hit hard and fast...like a small 6" coil. I heard so many more crisp sounds because the SEF coil separated so much better than my stock SE coil
One day though...I went back to one of my beat up parks and just made myself leave the 1050 coil and the stock coil at home...forcing me to stay with the 10 x 12 SEF no matter what.

What an eye opening day that was. :thumbup:After only a couple of hours I got used to the crisper sounds I was hearing at substantial depths...and had a very productive day from a park that I hadn't found silver at in a long time.

Over the next 4 hunts...I found 11 silver from some very pounded sites...and it was then that I knew I had a killer coil.

Right about that time..the new minelab pro coil came out. Well even though I had a great coil to use...in the back of my mind I wondered if the pro coil was better.

Anyway...I spent $200 and ordered the new pro coil so I could do direct side by side comparisons and see which one worked better for me. I just had to know.

For me and the settings I run...and in my soil...the 10 x 12 SEF coil beat the pro coil hands down in everything except the weight.

It hit harder...separated better...sounded better over deep targets...and seemed to ID better over deep targets.

One thing I disliked about the pro coil...in fact it drove me nuts...was the fact that I dug a lot of "ghost holes". I have no idea why...but I would get some nice signals...and they repeated around the hole...and I would have sworn it was deep silver. When I got the hole dug...nothing there. This just didn't happen some times...it happened often to the point that I just stopped using it for a while. I never had that problem with the 10 x 12 SEF coil.

With the settings I run...I get some falsing and chirping...and it's up to me to be able to discern between good deep hits from falsing. About 99% of the time with the SEF coil...if I dig a deep rusty nail or piece of junk...I already knew it was "iffy" before I dug it.

All of this being said...I have since spent a lot more time on the pro coil...and it's a WINNER

Early in the year...I had a 2 Seated day ...and it was with the pro coil. I don't know how many years it's been since I found 2 seated dimes in a day....but the Pro coil sniffed them both out that day. As a matter of fact... if Guvner hadn't of found the Merc I was looking for...I would have completed the silver slam.
Because of him however:ranting:...I ended up with 2 seated dimes...a barber dime...a Roosey...but NO Merc.:cool:

The coil I reach for...well I guess I don't reach for it because it stays on my SE most of the time:biggrin:...is the 10 x 12 SEF coil.

It is my favorite everyday coil...and the pro coil comes in second...but again...the Pro coil is a GREAT coil and I use it often.

The SEF coil just seems to work better for me in my soil and at my sites.

...somebody could tell me how the SunRay X-12 coil measures up to the ML 11" Pro & the 10x12 SEF coils.

right now i'm leaning towards the 10x12 SEF, but i'd like to be fully informed.

incidentally, the SEF is the least expensive of the three, and i believe it is the heaviest.

thanks again, Bryce!

I am not able to get my sensitivity much over 18 to 20 at most places and to me it is a noisy coil.
I want more stability if I am to venture into the park hunting game. Weight is not an issue for me either.
I think I just need the nod from an experienced SE user to try a different coil on my detector.

I will say no more...but yes...my honest opinion is that the 10 x 12 SEF coil will definitely settle down your SE more than the stock coil.:)

1050 coil...SEF coil...pro coil...take your pick. Any of those 3 coils IMHO will make your SE more stable.

The slimline is a very sensitive coil...at least on my SE...and I've tried 3 different slimlines on my machine:)

Your more than welcom Ian. I just "calls 'em like I sees 'em":cool:

I hope somebody can give you some info on the Sunray X-12.

I'm sure it's a good coil too ...but being fully informed is the way we all need to be anymore.

Take care