Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bucket List Item! Lost ring to be returned!

Well, it's not really an item, per se, more like "a thing I've always wanted to do detecting...find and return a ring! I found a silver ring detecting yesterday in a park. I didn't really look that closely at it, just put it in my finds pouch. When I got home, my wife informed me that it was probably an expensive ring (she'd seen ones like it for $200-$300 dollars). It's a mother's ring, with 2 birthstones and both kids' names engraved. The insets I think are real diamonds. I got online and found the facebook page for the town the park was in, and within a couple of hours I was sent the post you see in the picture from someone on the town council. She'd posted it to the FB group for her friend that lost the ring, hoping someone would find and return it. I've messaged her and am waiting to hear back. Feels very good to be able to reunite a ring with its owner, especially something as special as a mother's ring!

Attachments

• ring-return.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
Ring returns are usually rewarding Especially when the person who lost the ring shows appreciation. I have only had one return that i wished i had not bothered to go look for it for her. Get Pictures when you return the ring.

Like George said they can go either way..sounds like this will be a good return... I will never forget the time a cute little girl asked me if I could help find her fathers ring he had just lost while playing nerf football with his daughters..he was somewhat distraught until I found it..I will never forget the whole family’s smiles when I finally did find it...I got more joy out of that experience than the money I would have gotten had I just found it not knowing who it had belonged to..

Nice find and return. I have found most ring returns are worth more then the gold/silver content. Welcome to the forum. HH jim tn

Thumbs up to you for returning the ring! I always like to hear about detectorists returning rings and other jewelry to the owner or owners family. I know many detectorists that make no attempt to return lost items, for them it's all about the value when they sell the gold or silver.

I have had returns where folks insisted that i take a reward. I had one young lady find my address and mail a reward after i had repeatedly told her NO. One of my most rewarding returns was a Cheap sterling ring that he had given her as a wedding ring. They had gotten Married on Saturday. She lost the ring on Sunday. I found it before daylight Monday morning. The tears running down her face when i handed her the ring was a far greater reward than what a cash reward would have been

Then there was the Day that i was out of water, getting dehydrated rapidly and struggling to get off the beach to something to drink and the A/C when a couple i had noticed 75 to 100 yards back up the beach running their fingers thru the sand. Approached and said My wife lost her ring will you come see if you can find it. I honestly did not want to walk backup the beach as dehydration was working on me hard.

But i could not refuse. Found the ring easily. Handed it to her and as she turned to walk away she uttered a half hearted "Thanks" I felt like she had slapped me. Ring apparently meant virtually nothing to her.

When i finally made it to the car i just sat there in the A/C for a while until i felt better.

It always feels good to do the right thing. Some people get genuinely touched by a return and others think they are owed it. End of the day is how you feel, not them. Just saying

Great job.... promotes the hobby too!!!
It is very rewarding to return lost items to people.... I’ve been fortunate to find and return a few things myself.

Nice job I returned a ID bracelet lost over 50 years ago he became a Dr never moved out of Ct so he was easy to find.
Mark

Well, it's not really an item, per se, more like "a thing I've always wanted to do detecting...find and return a ring! I found a silver ring detecting yesterday in a park. I didn't really look that closely at it, just put it in my finds pouch. When I got home, my wife informed me that it was probably an expensive ring (she'd seen ones like it for $200-$300 dollars). It's a mother's ring, with 2 birthstones and both kids' names engraved. The insets I think are real diamonds. I got online and found the facebook page for the town the park was in, and within a couple of hours I was sent the post you see in the picture from someone on the town council. She'd posted it to the FB group for her friend that lost the ring, hoping someone would find and return it. I've messaged her and am waiting to hear back. Feels very good to be able to reunite a ring with its owner, especially something as special as a mother's ring!
So far I have returned 4 rings over my detecting career. It is a nice feeling especially seeing the person’s reaction in amazement that you were able to recover the item....Good karma will come to you!