Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bucket Lister, and weekend silver

After 30 plus years of metal detecting, I finally found my first Barber Half. I went out for a couple of hours this past Saturday and Sunday, to a place that I have been pounding for the past few weeks. I found this little stretch of land that after doing some research, learned that three houses once stood there from roughly 1890 to 1960. It's been a great place to hunt, but up until this weekend, I only pulled one Rosie -1960 out of there. I've probably pulled out 40 plus Wheaties over my past few hunts , along with a couple of buffalo nickels, a three Indians 1883, 1891 and 1903. This weekend, I decided to hunt the back end of the property. I've been avoiding hunting the backside due the high grass & weeds. I no sooner turned my detector on, and had a very nice silver high tone, and down a good 5 inches was a nice chunky silver ring. After a few Wheaties, and a ton of trash, I pulled back to back 1943 mercs, and then a few minutes later, another Rosie. After another hour, I decided to call it a day. Walking back to the car, with my detector hovering just above the ground, going in a straight line, not swinging it side to side. I heard a very high tone, and my first thought was a large piece of trash. I dug down a good 6 plus inches, and stuck in the plug, is a 1899 Barber Half. The coin is not in the greatest of share, but I will take it. Usually, when I head back to the car, I have my detector turned off. I won't be doing that any more.

Nice Finds! I hit my first barber half a few months ago a 1903 O only took me 3 years in a un hunted school which gave up a mint 1917 SLQ also..
Usually when I pull a lot of Wheaties silver always follows and big silver! nice Job great finds!
Mark

My first Barber, first half, and first 1800's silver was a 1899 Barber half back in 1982 when I started detecting. I still get a warm feeling when I think about it.

Congrats on your first Barber Half! That's awesome. It looks like it's been in a fire but at least it's still identifiable. Good job! :clapping:

Congratulations on your first Barber half, there definitely rare and hard to come by. I wouldn't give up on that spot until I pounded every square inch in every direction, there's probably some more silver hiding down there.