Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

buckled down to a one coin dig...1816

A

Anonymous

From the land of the Bluenose..with an early morning start Pat and I treked up to the Poplar Grove area to continue the search for the French at the old monestery. A stop at Tim's for jet fuel(coffee) and the drive along the newly twined highway seemed to be over before it started. Once there the owner of the property gave Pat the grand guided tour of the dwelling, guest house and grounds as I assaulted the front field which had recently been cut. After three hours the field had produced two horse buckles and an intact shoe buckle along with a nice 1816 Nova Scotia Hardware token and a few shrouds of iron. The sun made a rare visit making it a most pleasant day. Of course with the good weather came the usual assortment of blackflies and pesky horse flies that seem to delight in dive bombing around one's head.
The found items where given to the very appreciative owner who now has quite the collection from his property....but no French artifacts. In conjunction with the Acadian Congress Mr. Hines has a charity open house during the first week of August. When departing Pat and I recieved a nice copy of his latest book entitled "Nova Scotia Bed and Breakfasts" which I'm sure will come in handy when the better half and I take a few days trip to Yarmouth in August.
Departing the majestic beauty of the Hines residence Pat indicated that she had a nice surprise for me which turned out to be a dinner invite from an old school mate of hers. If Sherman's place was the show piece of the 1600's this place was the flagship of the 1800's. Over a light lunch, Ken, who is involved with the local museum gave me the history of the sprawling mansion that dates back to 1840 and belonged to a sea captain. He related to me that this sea captain and his brother built ships (2 shipyards in the area in the past) loaded them with lumber and sailed to Liverpool England and sold not only the lumber but the ship as well and returned back home and repeated the process. Can you imagine the odds of successfully completing a trans Atlantic voyage in those days not once, but 14 times as did this entrepreneur. While the ladies were reminicing about their school and nursing days Ken showed me around the house which has an inlaid wood ceiling , handcarved corner posts and antique furniture the likes of what I have never seen(not that I know anything about it) and his most prize possession...a new oversized head driver (personally I think golf is a waste of good digging ground). From there it was the outer tour consisting of the barn and cherry orchard which over looks the intersection of the Avon and St. Croix Rivers.
Ken and Pat were gracious hosts but it was time to leave so Pat (both lady's first names which is a tad confussing) and I said our good byes with Ken giving me an open invition to return and detect the property. Only hope that I can make it back and add a few trinkets for the museum.
Once home invited pat to join Marie and I for some of my homemade stew which , much to my surprise made neither lady ill. After the gourmet delight Pat left to catch and early show and I to romp around the playing filed with 20 women............strikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkke three you'r outta here!