Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Buffalo Hunting with the CZ-3D

RD3D

Easy hunting with the 3D! High tone, High tone, High tone! 1936, 1928 and a 1914 that is very difficult to read.

and they hit on high tone? Were you in the enhanced mode or Salt? From what I can tell so far with mine, it won't hit on a nickel period in the enhanced mode, new nickel or buff. It will hit on a nickel in salt mode with the occassional bounce from nickel to pulltab.

I couldn't understand why my wife was smokin me on nickels with her CZ5 until I started doing some air tests with the 3d and found that it won't hit on a nickel in enhanced mode unless you go to all-metal.

HH,
Mike

Enhanced Mode
Disc = 0 (to hear all 4 tones)

You will get different results when doing an airtest vs. letting the 3D use the ground matrix to properly identify the buffalo's. Depending on the angle of the coin, you may get a nickel/pulltab bounce but usually the 3D is right on! Good Luck.

loved nickels in the enhanced mode. In fact, I have had CZ-5s' and prefer the 3D because of that. An awesome nickel picker.... Might want to give Fisher a call... Richardntn

and this is what I have found:

Current nickel at 6" deep = The 3d will not hit on it in enhance mode. It will ever so often intermitantly beep, but not constant and the 3d meter will jump from pulltab, foil. This is with sensitivity at 4 and with descriminate at 1. If I move descriminate up to 2 or three, it will not hit it at all. This is with a low - mid tone bounce and every now and then a high tone, but rarely.

1937 Buff nickel at 6" = The 3d will not hit on it in ehnace mode unless I drop descriminate down to 1 or zero, Then the 3d will give a low to mid tone & bounce from beavertail to foil or square pulltab.

Now, in salt mode, the 3d will hit both nickels with a high tone and register as nickel on the meter.

But in enhanced mode, in order for a nickel to even register, I would have to run zero descrimination and even then, nickels would be low to mid tone, and I probably wouldn't dig them anyway especially if the meter shows pulltab & I'm in an area where there are a lot of pulltabs.

I sent Fisher a email to see what they have to say about. But right now, I don't see how this detector would be good in an older site if nickels are hitting in low-mid tone.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I would say you have either a coil or a detector problem. Do you have another coil to try? I did some testing just now in the backyard for you. I held a yardstick on the ground to measure. Disc in 0. That how I hunt too.

8 inch coil

Enhanced mode:

GB 5.5, Sens. 5, Volume 5

Solid nickel till around 8 inches. Pulltab to nickel bounce (mostly nickel) till about 9.5 inches.

SALT mode:

GB 8, Sens. 5, Volume 5

Solid Nickel till around 7.5 inches. Bounces for about 1/2 inch then nothing.

Hope that helps... :)

-Bill

and what I found was:

Descrimination =0 also tried it at 1 with same results, sensitivity = 5, GB = 5, Volumn = 5 and mode switched to Enhanced. Using a current 1996 nickel and a Buffulo nickel, Both nickels gave a mid tone audio pitch and would give a momentary high tone beep once every 4 or 5 passes over the target. Visual target ID indicated beaver pulltab, for shallow target, but about 6" deep, the target would jump from beaver pulltab to nickel to square pulltab.

If I moved the descrimination up to 2, using the same setting as above, the target would disappear & no longer register at all.

But while the 3d is in the salt mode, the nickels will give a high coin tone and register on the display as nickel every time.

I called Fisher and spoke to one of there Techs, who stated that this is the way the CZ3d is supposed to do. So I guess with the CZ3d, you are supposed to run low or no descrimination and dig everything. No wonder they said that this machine was for older sites because at that rate, it will be a ball buster & a blister maker for sure.

Mike,

Like I said, mine's a pretty solid nickel and high tone to about 8 inches. No bounce. I personally think there's something wrong with your machine. I always run disc at 0 just because I use the number of target hits to help gauge my swing speed, etc. I only dig the high tones on the 3D. I personally would push the issue with Fisher. That's not the way my 3D works. Good luck!

-Bill

I tried a NEW nickel on my 3D and it was mid tone. Almost every time. I waved 4 different V-nickels in front of it and every one of them hit hi-tone nickel every time. That's why I don't dig many new nickels:? I didn't even realize it. I've had the stupid machine for a year and didn't know this!! I really don't care to dig newer nickels anyway. Now if they could just fine tune it so that it could tell whether it was a wheat cent or a memorial cent.:partytime I'd be set.

Well, you learn something new every day.

Something is wrong with your CZ3 cause my loves all kinds of nickels and all on high tone and in inhanced mood.

They should ID hi tone in ground undug, if not then I would send it into to Fisher.

HH Tom

laying the nickel on the ground & also buried as deep as 6" in the ground and what I get is mid tone audio & the meter shows beavertail pull tab. Thats in the enhanced mode. With descriminatrion set at "0" or "1", if I bump up the descrimination to 2, I lose the nickel altogether.

I still can't believe Fisher saying that this is the way the 3d is supposed to work. I was wondering why my wife was smokin me on nickels with her CZ5 & now I see why. I was doing exactly what the book said and diggin all high tones, with descrimination set at 2, so I wouldn't even detect a nickel.

I will probably send it in to Fisher and hopefully they will check it out and not just send it back to me saying theres nothing wrong with it.

Think back at how many Buff nickels you have found.I don't know anyone who doesn't like finding buff nickels. I don't have a V nickel to test it with, but I bet it will hit at mid tone as well.

What really gets me is, why should the 3d lose nickels when you go from 0 or 1 descrimination to 2, because it will not make a peep after you switch descrim to 2 or higher.

But yet you can not noych out Zinc penny, try it, zinc will hit at high coin everytime and even moving descrimate up to 6, which is max, you will still ding zinc in the Enhance mode.

But now, put the 3d in salt mode, you will hit on zinc until you put descriminate in 6 then it will finally nock out zinc penny.

it will hit in high tine either way, and if it hits mid tone, it will hit mid-tone either way, buried or laying on the ground or airtesting for that matter. The only machine that I had that made a difference was the Coinstrike when airtesting, but if you tape a coin to the backside of a 2X4 it worked great in airtests.

Mike,

I did another backyard test for you. I put the 3D in disc 4. I got basically the same results I did last night with a solid nickel signal to about 8 inches but naturally without the bounce to pulltab because I had discriminated it out. I also stepped up the disc modes 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 with basically no variance in the nickel signal strength, etc. All test were with the 8 inch coil. Enhanced could get a nickel signal further away than the SALT mode could. I hope this helps you some.

Enhanced:

GB - 5.3-5.4, Sens. 5 Volume 5

SALT:

GB - 7.6 - 7.7, Sens. 5 Volume 5

I would without a doubt say you have an issue with the detector itself since you did say you tried another coil. I am telling you from over a year of field use with the 3D it loves nickels. I have dug more V nickels, buffalos nickels, and Jefferson nickels than with any other machine I have ever used. Alot of those nickels came from pounded parks, etc. :) Good Luck!

-Bill