Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Built in Batteries

Not me! Why would I want to continue to buy and deal with batteries? HH jim tn
Jim, eventually, you will have to pay for the built in batteries to be replaced but until then all you need to do is remember to make sure they are charged before you go detecting. Hope you aren't like me, as I am old and forgetful. LOL!!

I very much like recharging AA's and 9v's better. I have rechargeable 9v batteries that are over 10 year old and still work very well. The cost to recharge is negligible and the batteries only cost a couple of dollars each. You can use the same battery in many other detectors too.

How much does the factory charge for replacing the battery? How long will their battery last? How long will you be out of commission when you send it in? I think I come out better there. I have plastic holders that fit in my detecting bag for spares at any time. I could detect for weeks without any other electricity except batteries. I can recharge them at any time without hooking up to the detector. If I forget I have a low battery and end up with a dead battery, I just reach in the bag and put new ones in. I don't have to wait while the detector is charging. I have a Deus and love it but all the charging is a pain.

Yep...I would rather have to take a battery pack out of the machine, take the batteries out of the pack, put them in the charger, take them out of the charger, put them in the pack and put the pack back into the machine. Hooking a cable to my machine is such a hassle ;)

Jim, eventually, you will have to pay for the built in batteries to be replaced but until then all you need to do is remember to make sure they are charged before you go detecting. Hope you aren't like me, as I am old and forgetful. LOL!!
I'm probably older then you, Gord, but so far been able to keep the battery charged. I seem to be able to remember detector related things, but my better half says I am pretty forgetful about household chores. But I disagree on that! I detect and average of 25-30 hours a week and no battery problems with my 9 month old Nox so far. Recharging is a hassle free, quick hook up and charge. Maybe takes me 10 seconds to do. Much less pain then replacing batteries. You have more things to charge with the Deus, right? HH jim tn

I'm probably older then you, Gord, but so far been able to keep the battery charged. I seem to be able to remember detector related things, but my better half says I am pretty forgetful about household chores. But I disagree on that! I detect and average of 25-30 hours a week and no battery problems with my 9 month old Nox so far. Recharging is a hassle free, quick hook up and charge. Maybe takes me 10 seconds to do. Much less pain then replacing batteries. You have more things to charge with the Deus, right? HH jim tn
Jim, I'm 78. Who wins? Now I am not sure if I am laughing or crying.

In case I forgot to recharge the detector I carry in my vehicle a pocket size lithium battery and cable for backup. This backup battery and cable can be used on the wireless headset also.

Guess at 76 I'm the spring chicken reading this post.

ALOT OF KEY points have been made here.. For me personally i like either standard or rechargeable batteries.. Those that are built into the unit, approx how long does the manufacturer say they will last ?? 500, 1000 recharges who knows. Then whats the cost to have them replaced, shipping to get it there, probably have to pay for return shipping too. Then the turn around time.. You may be without a detector for weeks or even worse months, then what happens if its damaged or lost during shipping ? No thanks to all that, I'll stick with my AA's ..

Best to all. Mark ( ohio )

Mark, your points are all valid. Having, however, used battery operated detectors for close to five decades and now have two that are rechargeable, I'll take the quick, no hassle recharge option. I still have two battery operated detectors in my arsenal, so won't be without a detector if I should ever need a battery replaced. Of which, I don't envision that happening. Anyway, there are definite pro's and con's, either way. HH jim tn

Jim; I'm just curious as to how many hours of hunting are you getting before you see 1 bar left on the strenght meter... also how long to charge to full capacity ??

Mark

Simplex will be a good one to tell, many were sold. How long will the batteries actually last? What will it cost to ship and replace the battery? How long will replacement batteries be available? What if the company discontinues the battery or goes out of business? What will they be worth used 10 years from now? If a person is able to buy new ones every year or two and pass along your old one, I can see how it would be of no concern, but if one is considering buying a used Simplex without a warranty in the next few years and what it will cost for replacement could be quite concerning.
Some smartphones are easy for anyone to open up and replace the battery. Some should never be attempted by the average person. Some had electronics in the battery so only the factory one would work.

I do know that I have my father-in-law's Compass Judge II and the same battery type that works in it also also works in my F19 and I don't even have to buy another one, I have plenty of replacements. Same on the AA and AAA batteries. They not only work in detectors but camera and flash, computer mouse, hearing protector/hearing enhancement earmuffs, various lights, nintendo controller, etc. I'm glad I don't have to get a factory installed one for any of these.

Jim; I'm just curious as to how many hours of hunting are you getting before you see 1 bar left on the strenght meter... also how long to charge to full capacity ??
Mark, not sure. Simplex not my main detector. I'll try and keep track better on it and the Nox. /HH jim tn