Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bullet ID help needed.....

fwcrawford

My buddy found these two bullets along with two other bullets, one being fired and the other looks like a "hospital bullet".
These two are slightly deformed, but I put both next to a .52 caliber Sharps for comparison.
Thanks for any help in advance!!
IMG_0535.JPG

I would say the middle one looks like a modern cast bullet as the lower groove looks like it holds bullet lube and the top a crimp groove. If the base is flat and not concave, that would make me even more convinced. JMO

I would say the middle one looks like a modern cast bullet as the lower groove looks like it holds bullet lube and the top a crimp groove. If the base is flat and not concave, that would make me even more convinced. JMO
The bullet in the middle was found with over 100 others at a construction site… I have tied it to a time frame of 1865 when the Union Calvary occupied this area.
It has a small dimple n the base.

I think what you have is two fired .577 cal. three ringers.
I looked them up in a book I have and they look similar to a .54 Rifled Musket round, but I am am not certain if that is what it is.
You may correct in the ID… I’ll look up that round… thanks!

One way to tell if it is modern cast or not. A number 2 pencil will make a groove in pure lead. If it is modern cast, unless it will be used for black powder or an equiivalent, the pencil will not scratch it. A set of art pencils can give a very good indication of lead hardness. There was no need to harden lead in civil war times. Even today, it is recommended to use pure soft lead for muzzle loading firearms. I have left thousand of modern cast bullet at different sites. I was going to buy a Lee bullet hardness tester but the artist pencils were much cheaper.

Middle bullet looks like a Sharps. US Calvary

The bullet in the middle was found with over 100 others at a construction site… I have tied it to a time frame of 1865 when the Union Calvary occupied this area.
It has a small dimple n the base.
They look right to me.

Yes, I am aware that the middle bullet is a .52 Sharps.
The other two are what I need help with.
They look like Enfields, but both have rings
Thanks!
Not Enfields. Looks like regular 3 ringers to me...58 cal. What's the cavities look like? Anything? Some have a star, (Washington Arsenal) some have what we call a wagon wheel or spoke (swage) design.

Not Enfields. Looks like regular 3 ringers to me...58 cal. What's the cavities look like? Anything? Some have a star, (Washington Arsenal) some have what we call a wagon wheel or spoke (swage) design.
They have cavities like a minie ball, but both are crushed.. I do not see any details inside.

Last edited:
My buddy found these two bullets along with two other bullets, one being fired and the other looks like a "hospital bullet".
These two are slightly deformed, but I put both next to a .52 caliber Sharps for comparison.
Thanks for any help in advance!!
View attachment 38700
The one on the left looks like a typical three ringer. The one on the right looks like a Williams regulation. Both look like fired bullets.

The one on the left looks like a typical three ringer. The one on the right looks like a Williams regulation. Both look like fired bullets.

Here are a couple more photos of rhe two bullets along side of a .58 caliber bullet.
To me, they are shaped differently.. more rounded at the top.
You may be right about the ID, but they look odd to me.
Thanks for the help!

IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG

Here are a couple more photos of rhe two bullets along side of a .58 caliber bullet.
Thanks for the help!

View attachment 38979View attachment 38980
Is the bullet on the right nose cast? If so its a williams regulation.
Thanks for the help!

View attachment 38979View attachment 38980
The noses are flat from being fired.