Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bullet ID

fyrffytr1

While going through my bullet collection I came across this one and can't correctly ID it. As far as I can tell there are 6 (maybe 7?) rifling marks and a small ridge around the top where the bullet starts its taper. There is also one crimp groove around the bottom. The pictures give the rest of the information. As always, thanks for any and all help.
20200722_155508.jpg
20200722_155445.jpg
20200722_155602.jpg
Bullet base.jpg

50 caliber black powder rifle bullet most likely. Probably no real way for the common nut to identify what rifle shot it or how old. I will let those lob lead take the lead here tho......

Ok. That was weird, hit send and the screen scrambled... a couple words missing.... common gun nut....let those who lob lead......

I was told that it is a swaged bullet (Machine made) that was fired in a smaller caliber gun.

Uh, I suppose a half inch diameter bullet weighing 538 grs(ish) would be a smaller caliber gun. COMPARED TO A HOWLITZER.......
Swaged, possible........which makes it more modern if machine swaged.

That reminds me of a Whitworth bullet. I have five of them I have found in one field. Your weight is close and the length is close. But it should have a octagon shape at least a little. The diameter of yours is a little to big though.