Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bullet?

Yes, this is a modern (~20th century) rifle bullet. The longer, more slender profile combined with a slight taper at the "stubby" end gives it better aerodynamics than flat based Civil War period bullets. There is a slight demarcation about 1/4 of the way from the tip suggesting it might be semi-jacketed, which would be a hunting round (the tip would be lead). If the copper jacket goes all the way to the tip it would be a military round and would be called a "full metal jacket". These are required by international treaty as the soft point and hollow point hunting style rounds are considered "inhumane" for slaughtering humans :nono:. Check the diameter at the widest part with calipers . . . some of the more common types will read in at .223, .270 or .308 inches. Check the sides for rifling marks. These will be flat bottomed grooves impressed into the metal in the longwise direction and will be at a slight angle suggesting a twist like a candy cane or barber pole. If it has these, it means it has been fired. If you can't find them, either it hasn't been fired or its just hidden by the corrosion. Check these things out and get back to us. :nerd:

-pete

Looks like a 50 caliber full metal jacket, ball round. Pretty common. .50 Browning Machine Gun (.50 BMG) or 12.7×99mm NATO is a cartridge developed for the Browning .50 caliber machine gun in the late 1910s. They are roughly a 710 grain bullet that travels approximately 2,930 fps. Stay out of its way if possible. To compare that to a modern day caliber we've all heard of, the 30 06 remmington, the average 30 caliber 150-165 grain bullet travels about 2,900 fps. So there's a lot of powder behind it's cousin the .50 BMG. Mark

msareborn said:
Looks like a 50 caliber full metal jacket, ball round. Pretty common. .50 Browning Machine Gun (.50 BMG) or 12.7×99mm NATO is a cartridge developed for the Browning .50 caliber machine gun in the late 1910s. They are roughly a 710 grain bullet that travels approximately 2,930 fps. Stay out of its way if possible. To compare that to a modern day caliber we've all heard of, the 30 06 remmington, the average 30 caliber 150-165 grain bullet travels about 2,900 fps. So there's a lot of powder behind it's cousin the .50 BMG. Mark

I have a 50 cal. in my hand and it doesn't look right. The OP's slug looks a lot stubbier (too short for the width). The 50 cal. is more slender, so I'm voting for something more in the 30 cal. ballpark. As farmer pointed out - size of the hands in the pic makes a diff.

Waiting for a verdict.

-pete

I finally got around to measuring it and it's a 50 cal. It doesn't look like it's been fired also. :)
Thank you for all the information! :)

It may not have rifling marks if the barrels were shot out--not uncommon with 50 barrels that have had thousands of rounds fired in a short time.When we would shoot ours slick a little midnight recon to a neighboring company and quick switch would produce a new barrel.

Thats a cool find! You should now go and read up about 50's....lots of history and interesting stuff...

My Father In Law was a waist gunner on a B52 over Germany and ran a 50...He was a little guy, slightly built but tough from working farm as was the fashion for Men of those days.... if you are ever near an air show and get to crawl into a fuselage of a B52 you will know why..if you can put your hands on a set of twin 50's, you will gain a real appreciation for your find I suspect...His one hand was frost bitten and suffered from cold temps til the day he died, said he had to tuck his mitten up under his arm and try to clear a jam barehanded on that big gun at altitude at 30 below zero with that big waist door wide open, and the German fighters thick as fleas!....

The 'sort of recent' Barrett 416 round also makes for interesting conversation for its accuracy over the traditional 50 run out of a sniper rifle..I doubt any of us will find one of those here in the States outside of a military range...lots of 50's got sprayed around on practice, and are in private hands to this day and are somewhat commonplace...still, its really a cool and awe inspiring find!:clapping:
Mud..

mudpuppy said:
.... if you are ever near an air show and get to crawl into a fuselage of a B52 you will know why..if you can put your hands on a set of twin 50's, you will gain a real appreciation for your find I suspect...
Mud..

Like this one here? I got a chance to crawl around this B17 when it was at an airshow in Beverly, MA in 2009. There is an outfit out in Stow, MA that has several WWII planes in flying condition including this B17 Flying Fortress and B24 Liberator. On two or three occasions I've been outside and heard the drone of those big radial engines, looked up and had them fly right over me at low altitude.

[attachment 312449 PETE_50CAL_2_25pct.jpg]
"Get off my lawn ya whippersnappers! . . . and take them
new-fangled metal detectin' gizmos with ya!"

-pete

B17! What was I thinking!

Not a B52! I Need more coffee before commenting I guess!..Nice pic Pete! .
Mud

mudpuppy said:
B17! What was I thinking!

Not a B52! I Need more coffee before commenting I guess!..Nice pic Pete! .
Mud

There, there now Miss Scarlet . . . its gonna be all-right! :rofl:

-pete

Pete, You could have really busted my clanks on this technical error like you did to that one guy regarding 'clad' !:rofl::lmfao:

I appreciate the mercy shown and will try to 'pay it forward' here today instead of beating somebody up for any reason which I am likely to do as the day progresses!:buds:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Pete, You could have really busted my clanks on this technical error like you did to that one guy regarding 'clad' !:rofl::lmfao:

I appreciate the mercy shown and will try to 'pay it forward' here today instead of beating somebody up for any reason which I am likely to do as the day progresses!:buds:
Mud

You're like my best bud here . . . how could I bust your "clanks" as you so eloquently put it? :cheers:

BTW, I put a couple pics over on the Pics of you and Me etc. forum of some targets from back in my shooting days in college. I figure you might not see them if I didn't direct you there. I had a brief exchange with Dave from American Coin Hunting because he put up a shooting video and I decided to goof on him a bit. Then I had to prove to him that I was the real deal and not just talking out my butt. :super:

Check it!

-pete