Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bump coil and it sounds out and registers an ID in the 90s

volpe

Recently, I was detecting an old farm homestead. When I tapped the coil tip or edge on the ground it sounded an alert and gave an ID in the High 90s. Is this to be expected or is there a problem. This Racer 2 is the first detector I have ever used and thus not too familiar with its nuances.

Neither have I, but I did have it occasionally when I owned my Ace 350.

Recheck all connections and perform a factory reset.

See if that helps.

All ny detectors do that, if I have sensitivity up high...Did you try lowering the sensitivity? When any of mine do that, I lower the sensitivity, and it takes that away....

I thank you for your help, you were both right. I checked the connection to the coil, very snug, and to to the unit itself, tightened another 3/4 turn. Still got similar results but at not as easily, nor as frequently as before even with the gain at 98. Reduced the gain to 90 and nearly eliminated the problem entirely. I'm certainly relieved it is not an equipment failure. I appreciate your help, did not know, my lack of experience,
that these conditions would/could create a problem. gain at 98.coil/detector seemed to perform normally otherwise, found a spoon, ID 22..what metal is that?... at 15 inches, standard coil, deep mode,
I have been looking at metal detecting since the early 90s. As a history nut I did a lot of research and once retired bought this racer 2. Never used a detector before but sure got hooked, have yet to be refused permission to hunt, once I give my reasons to search their property, and present my research, they are quite cooperative, even mow the grass short and offer help.

Very powerful gain machine. At 98 even in 3 tone and after ground balancing, still sparky lol
Glad to hear all is better.

It was fairly quiet at 98, I was 300+ yards from any possible interference. The racer 2 hit on the spoon but no ID till I got it out. I keep the finds and a log from each site separate, and record each targets ID for future reference. I dig lots of junk, nails, old ones help date the site, and wire...the wire, it must have been the duck tape of its day.

Make sure your cable is close enough to the shaft. Any jarring of the machine will cause the cable to move. The materials in the cable can produce a signal that high. I have the Red Racer and even when I get a good signal on my left side, I have to make sure that my trifold shovel is behind me as to not get a false signal.

Thanks, I'll watch that cable, I've wrapped with additional turns and securely fastened it to the shaft.

I've been mostly running 3 tone, because I'm in the city, and there is interference every where. I run my Sensitivity at about 72-75. I have to run it Lower then that in 2 tone, same with my Relic in DI2 and Di3, just too sparky in those modes. I look forward to getting out in the country more....

I mostly hunt old homesteads, full of nails and broken wire. But without it it would be difficult to locate these sites. I use deep mode and a lot of gain to find the site, old nails give a time line, And only reduce gain if it seems to cause a problem. I am not an experienced detectorist, so a lot of trial and error and digging a lot of trash. I've done considerable research over the years and now, with a detector, I enjoy exploring. I've found several old, 1860s to early 1900s coins and artifacts. It's fun to return these items to the decendants along with the research data that led to the finds.