Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Button. Would like to know about it.

Pete4AU

Put the video of finding this button on the Relic & Bottle Hunting forum but no response from there yet. Maybe this is the place.
Thanks
Pete [video]http://metaldetectingaction.com/page/detectingPg1/DetectingHotelAreas.html[/video]

[attachment 298489 CFWfind4.jpg][attachment 298490 CFWfind5.jpg]

Howdy Pete4AU--

It's an Officers Infantry Button made between 1850 and 1865 according to Albert's. Good find! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

[video]http://metaldetectingaction.com/page/detectingPg1/DetectingHotelAreas.html[/video]

My understanding is that it is a General Service Infantry (Enlisted men wore it) not an officers button. Maybe splitting hairs but important. Great find!!!!!

Howdy brianc577--

I'm sure not trying to start an argument. For one thing I don't ALWAYS believe what I read in print (in fact it's usually good NOT to hahah). It's quite possible that there is incorrect information in Alphaeus H. Albert's RECORD OF AMERICAN UNIFORM AND HISTORICAL BUTTONS BICENTENNIAL EDITION. In this case though, Brianc577, I tend to agree with Albert, since I've dug several lettered eagle buttons (officers?) and several unlettered ones which I believe are enlisted men's buttons. Here is page 38 in Albert's.
Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Hello Blind Squirrel,

My button is 7/8th inch. I can't decide which one it is in the picture you sent. Do you have an idea?

Thanks again

Pete

Pete4AU, it looks to me like you have Albert's 85A. It's listed with your backmark as being 20mm in diameter with an RV of 2.

That's a nice button - congratulations! You have "touched history"! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I would definitely agree with your source!!! I stand corrected. I have found these buttons in such large quantities that I assumed they where general service.

Brianc577, you must have some really good relic sites to hunt! I've found that the unlettered to lettered button ratio is about 10-1 at the site that I hunt. It's a real thrill for me to dig any relic or coin from the Civil War era. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I was extremely blessed to get access to a site that was part of a huge camp. The site became a golf course so the items where undistubed until the Golf Course closed in 2004. It was a cheap golf course so the fertilizers where minimal. You name it, me and my buddy found it, including three cannonballs, bottles, 6 plates, and about 120 buttons (most of them eagle "I"). I can't imagine the suff that all the relic hunters sneaking in at night found (and I am happy for them). It was a great experience for several month's. Thank you for teaching me something about the button's though!!!!

Brianc577--

Glad that you have had the opportunity to hunt such an historic and productive site! I hope that you still have access to that site. I have a good library for buttons, plates and coins. If you or anyone else ever needs something identified , I may be able to help. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel