Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cache Hunting Question

Romanf

Assuming that I am using my X-Terra in ferrous rejection mode, how would the detector handle a situation such as a mason jar filled with coins and sealed with a ferrous lid.

Would the detector reject the item, by blanking it out, or would the coins inside a jar be strong enough to offset the discrimination?

Mason jars, especially old ones didn't have iron lids. They were tinned (zinc), and I dig a lot of them while hunting old homesteads. I probably dug four yesterday. They tend to sound off and ID in the 36-42 range at depth, so you shouldn't miss it if you get your coil over it.

2cd dat, super to know. I need a good cache! I hit jar type glass in my hole I was checking once and got way excited. Nope.

Just broken ole jar.
Always wear decent gloves. Also, now I expect to dig disintegrated 100 yr old marmelade before I hit on great grannies piggy bank.

Do you know approximately when the switchover from tin to ferrous was made? Was it in the early thirties or so?

Thanks

Found some info re when tin transitioned to ferrous. Looks like around 1915? However, those Lightning Jars could be ferrous, but not sure based on this information:

Prior to 1858, canning jars were sealed using a flat tin lid, sealed by sealing wax. It was messy, less reliable, and not reusable. When John L. Mason, a New York City tin smith, invented a machine capable of making threaded metal lids, the modern-day mason jar was born. It was sealed using a rubber gasket and the threaded tin lid.

With the advent of mason jars, canning was now easier and more affordable for the masses, and was soon a common practice of food preservation across America. Then the

Remember back when our mothers and grandmothers use mason jars to can fruit and vegetables that they raise on their land. Those were the good old days.

:stretcher:

Connecticut Lovejoy said:
Remember back when our mothers and grandmothers use mason jars to can fruit and vegetables that they raise on their land. Those were the good old days.

:stretcher:
My family still does some canning.

In france and in my region every one does canning. Wel this is a good question, the same with a iron box filled with silver or gold. I ask because i have the case now, in a field i have a big plate at 80 cm deep and 100x60cm , my TID is 42. were are going to dig it out later with the autorization of the ouwner, if he give's it :rolleyes:

A mason jar full of silver might register an overload indication. Also, depending on depth it might fail the "aluminium can test" of lifting the coil 6"-18" off the ground and still registering loudly... Mayonnaise and pickle jars, perhaps those less than 60 years old, have steel lids.