Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

California Flat Button ID?

Crosby

I found this plain flat button at a demo in Oakland yesterday. All I can make read of the back mark is "Superior Quality", thou there may be a few more letters. Any help as to its age would be appreciated.

Superior, superior quality, gilt, best gilt, schovil (sp?), etc. are all words on civil war button backs. You are looking at the back half of a two piece button....go back to where you found it and find the front half which is it's $value$. It shouldn't be far off especially if the button back was deep.

That's no 2-piece button. The edge is way too thick to be a 2-piece, and also it is way too flat to be the back to a 2-piece. Your button is a British import that will date to the early part of the 19th century. These are common finds at plantation sites here in Louisiana.. I'd keep hunting that site. Flat buttons always mean good period coins and 2-piece facial buttons. Nice find!! GeoDiggerMike